Banana Bran Muffins
… or as I like to call them (drumroll, please)… Branana Muffins!
They’ve got the super-moist, delicious banana muffin thing going on, with a bit of extra fill-you-up fibre.
I threw in a handful of chocolate chips – helpful if you have trouble persuading your kids (or HUSBAND) to eat something that has bran in it. Even though, honestly, you’d barely know it’s in there anyway.
I like to make a big batch of muffins and freeze them in big ziploc freezer bags. I thaw them in the microwave in about 50 seconds – 25 right-side-up and 25 upside-down to warm them evenly – and they emerge as if freshly baked.
Try it! Your future self will thank you for such a thoughtful treat.
I’m not feeling very wordy today… so I’m gonna sign off with a swift kiss-kiss, talk soon.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup natural wheat bran
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3-4 medium)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 banana, thinly sliced (for decorating), optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat bran, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine mashed banana, vegetable oil, eggs and buttermilk. Add to the flour mixture, and stir gently until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide batter (about 1/4 cup per muffin) among two paper-lined muffin tins – you’ll be able to get about 16 muffins. Top with thin slices of banana, if desired. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly pressed.