I know there’s a divide amongst people when it comes to the word “moist”. I personally love it, because in my world it’s usually referring to the best quality in a chocolate cake, bran or zucchini muffins or banana bread. When I use the word in the title, you know it promises to be tender and never dry. And this Super Moist Banana Zucchini Bread delivers.
It arose because I didn’t have enough bananas to make two banana bread loaves, but I almost never make a quick bread without doubling the recipe – the long baking time feels more worthwhile for two, plus the first one usually gets gobbled up in 0.6 seconds. They freeze well, so they’re perfect to have frozen (pre-sliced) for friends and play-dates, or breakfasts on the go.
I had some zucchini in my crisper drawer begging to be used up, so it wound up subbing for half of the banana in my double batch of banana bread and I’m so happy it happened because it’s seriously so good!
Should we call it Zucchinana Bread?!
Super Moist Banana Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups mashed overripe banana about 4 large
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cup butter melted
- ¾ cup buttermilk or 2 tsp vinegar + milk to make 3/4 cup total
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups (13.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare two loaf pans by greasing it or lining them with parchment paper (allowing an overhang on sides). With a fork, beat together mashed banana, zucchini, melted butter, buttermilk and eggs in a large bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and gently stir until just combined.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and top feels springy. Cool for about 5 minutes in pans, then invert into an oven mitt and flip onto wire cooling racks to cool completely before slicing.
Last Updated on March 13, 2015 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD
How to substitute eggs. Egg allergic here 🙂 thanks
Absolutely delicious! I used 6 bananas because that’s what I thawed from the freezer before I found this recipe! It was amazing! I made 1 large loaf and 3 mini loves!
I added chocolate chips to one and walnuts to another ! Omg sooo good!
How much flour? 3 cups PLUS 13.5 oz?? Thats a lot! When i made it with what ends up being nearly 5 cups, it was good but very doughy. Please advise. Thanks