This post may contain affiliate links.
This Peanut Butter Banana Bites Recipe needs just 3 simple ingredients and is an easy, healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth and a perfect use for overripe bananas (when you’ve had enough of my famous moist banana bread, 3-ingredient banana pancakes and banana zucchini bread, that is).
Overripe bananas freeze to a soft-serve ice cream texture, then a thin dark chocolate shell gives way to creamy, cool banana slices filled thickly with peanut butter. I love to eat them cold as a lighter alternative to other frozen dessert recipes, making them an excellent little after-dinner nibble. (I’m warning you, they’re addictive.)
Just talking about them makes me want one (three?) right now.
Plus, you can store them in the freezer for up to two weeks! So what are you waiting for? Give this banana bites recipe a try and let me know what you think! (PS. If you love healthy frozen treats, you must also try my frozen yogurt bark, healthy fudgesicles, and 3-ingredient homemade banana ice cream. For more easy banana recipes, try my 3-ingredient healthy banana pancakes!)
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Banana Bites Recipe (Like, A LOT)
Are you ready to discover why these frozen banana bites are going to be your new obsession? Buckle up, folks, because I’m about to give you all the reasons why you’re going to fall head over heels in love with this recipe:
- Sweet and creamy: These bites are made with overripe bananas that are naturally sweet and have a delightfully creamy texture. It’s like biting into a little piece of heaven.
- Healthy-ish: Despite all the deliciousness packed into these little bites, they’re actually a lighter alternative to traditional desserts. With fiber and potassium-rich bananas, protein offered by peanut butter, not to mention the antioxidants in dark chocolate chips – what’s not to love?
- Kid-Friendly: Little fingers love making these and kids really love eating them.
- Easy and quick: Did I mention how easy and quick this recipe is? With just a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen tools, you can whip up a batch of these treats in no time.
What is in Peanut Butter Banana Bites? It’s a 3-Ingredient Recipe!
- Overripe bananas – These are the star of the show! Overripe bananas are sweeter and have a creamier texture, which makes them perfect for this recipe. Read my best science hacks on how to quickly ripen a banana.
- Peanut butter – The peanut butter adds a delicious nutty flavor and helps to bind the bites together.
- Dark chocolate – The dark chocolate adds a rich and decadent flavor, and it also helps to make the bites extra special. Use semi-sweet chocolate, chocolate chips, or chopped dark chocolate bars.
How to Make Peanut Butter Banana Bites: Step-by-Step Directions
Follow these easy steps to make these delicious and healthy 3-ingredient peanut butter banana bites!
- Thinly slice the bananas. First, grab a sharp knife and thinly slice those bananas. (I like to slice them lengthwise, but you can go crosswise if you prefer.)
- Spread peanut butter between the slices. Use a butter knife to spread a teaspoon of peanut butter between the banana slices. You can get creative with this and use different types of peanut butter, such as crunchy or smooth.
- Freeze for 15 minutes. Once the banana slices are coated in peanut butter, sandwich them with a second banana slice place them on a parchent-lined baking sheet to freeze for 15 minutes. This will help them to firm up so that they don’t fall apart when you dip them in chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until mostly smooth. Remove it from the heat when it’s still lumpy and stir to finish melting completely (this prevents the chocolate seizing and overcooking).
- Dip the banana bites in chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, use a fork to dip the banana bites in the chocolate. You can get creative with this and make different shapes, such as hearts or stars.
- Freeze again until chocolate is firm. Once the banana bites are dipped in chocolate, place them back on the baking sheet and freeze for another 15 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm.
- Enjoy! Once the banana bites are frozen, they are ready to enjoy. You can store them in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Grab Your Tools
Now, before you get started on making these chocolate peanut butter banana bites, there are a few tools you’ll want to make sure you have on hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A sharp knife: You’ll want to slice those bananas thinly, and a dull knife just won’t cut it (pun intended).
A baking sheet: This is for freezing the banana slices between steps. Make sure it fits nicely in your freezer!
- Parchment paper (to keep your bites from sticking to the baking sheet)
- A microwave-safe bowl: If you’re going to melt your chocolate chips in the microwave (which I prefer), you’ll need a bowl that can handle it. You could alternatively melt the chocolate in a bowl placed over a small saucepan of simmering water.
- A fork: This is for dipping the banana bites in chocolate.
That’s it! See, I told you it was an easy list. Oh, and if you don’t have parchment paper, don’t fret – you can also use wax paper or even aluminum foil. Just make sure you have something to prevent those bites from sticking to the baking sheet.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
Now that you’ve made these delectable peanut butter banana bites, you’re probably wondering how to store them so they stay fresh and tasty. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your delicious treats:
- Make ahead: These bites are perfect for making ahead of time. Simply store them in an airtight container in the freezer, and they’ll be ready to go whenever you need a sweet treat. Freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Thaw before eating: When you’re ready to enjoy your bites, simply take them out of the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes before eating. Trust me, they taste even better when they’re not too frozen.
Banana Bite Variations and Substitutions (Because Variety is the Spice of Life)
Are you feeling adventurous? Want to put your own spin on these delicious frozen banana bites? Well, my friend, you’re in luck because there are endless possibilities for variations and substitutions! Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Swap the peanut butter for almond butter or cashew butter. Or, try a flavored nut butter like chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon almond butter for an extra tasty twist.
- Use milk chocolate or white chocolate instead of dark chocolate. The sweetness of the milk or white chocolate will add a whole new dimension to the bites. Or go totally wild and melt a snickers bar for dipping. I won’t tell.
- Dress them up: Want to jazz up your banana bites a bit? Try sprinkling some flaky sea salt, chopped nuts, graham cracker crumbles or coconut flakes on top. Or, drizzle them with a little extra melted chocolate for an extra indulgent treat. Pretzels or potato chips could also add a delicious salty crunch.
- Add some other fruit by slicing up some strawberries, raspberries, or even kiwis and placing them between the banana slices before freezing. This would make for a lovely fruity surprise with every bite.
- Make them vegan by using a dairy-free chocolate
The possibilities are endless, my friends! So go ahead and experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Who knows, you might just come up with the next big thing in frozen banana bites!
A banana bite is a small, bite-sized treat made of two slices of banana sandwiched together with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate.
Yes, banana bites are pretty darn good for you! These little treats are packed with all sorts of goodness. Here are just a few reasons why:
Bananas are loaded with potassium and fiber. Peanut butter is chock-full of protein and healthy fats. It’s the perfect ingredient for keeping you full and satisfied. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and can help lower your risk of heart disease. Not to mention how delicious it is!
But wait, there’s more! These frozen banana bites are also a lighter alternative to traditional desserts. They’re low in calories, sugar, and fat, making them a nice way to indulge your sweet tooth.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites Recipe
- 2 overripe bananas
- ¼ cup peanut butter crunchy or smooth
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Start by slicing the bananas into 12 slices per banana. You can slice them lengthwise or crosswise, whichever you prefer.
- Spread a teaspoon peanut butter on one banana slice and sandwich it with another banana slice. (I like to use a butter knife for this.)
- Place the peanut butter banana slices on a baking sheet and freeze them for 15 minutes. This will help them firm up so that they don't fall apart when you dip them in chocolate.
- While the bananas are freezing, melt the dark chocolate. You can do this in the microwave or on the stove. I prefer the microwave method because it’s quick and easy. Simply place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Once the bananas have chilled for 15 minutes, take them out of the freezer. Dip each banana bite in the melted chocolate using a fork. (Get creative with it and make different shapes like hearts or stars.)
- Once all the banana bites are coated in chocolate, place them back on the baking sheet and freeze them for another 15 minutes or until the chocolate is firm.
- When the bites are fully frozen, transfer them into a container and keep them in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Last Updated on May 24, 2023 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD
Well, well, well, look who’s got a recipe to rescue my overripe bananas! These Peanut Butter Banana Bites are the sweet treat I didn’t know I needed. Thanks for saving the day (and my bananas)!
The flavor of chocolate mixed with banana. I’m sure this one is truly good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Ooohhhhh….this bite must be very tasty! I am definitely storing away enough ripe banana, for this recipe.
I’m so excited because this sounds like a dessert I can try without getting a migraine! (Dark chocolate is supposed to be good for that.) The dark chocolate shell that encases these banana slices is pure decadence. It’s that thin layer of indulgence that makes these bites extra special. I can already imagine the contrast of the rich chocolate against the sweet and creamy bananas. It’s like biting into a little piece of heaven!
Your recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites is absolutely mouthwatering! The combination of flavors with chocolate, peanut butter, and banana is a classic and irresistible treat. The step-by-step instructions are clear and easy to follow, making it accessible for anyone to recreate. It’s a perfect blend of indulgence and healthy ingredients. Thank you for sharing this delightful recipe that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!
These look awesome! My teen has been buying frozen banana bites and it would be fun to try these.