Moist Banana Bread Recipe
The Secret to Moist Banana Bread
So, what’s the trick to fluffy, soft, never-dry banana bread?
Tons of banana. They make it super moist and flavourful. It stays tender and fresh for days.
You’ll want to squirrel away bananas (4 per loaf) and let them blacken. I recommend making a double batch – freeze one (or even better, spread the love and share one).
I always have a stash of “very ripe” (read: brown, mushy, highly fragrant) bananas in the freezer, peeled, and broken in chunks and stored in a freezer bag. When the bag gets full, I make banana bread.
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
Wondering how to make the best ever banana bread?
Here are my 3 top tips for making moist and fluffy banana bread:
1. Preheat Your Oven
Preheat preheat preheat. Your oven should absolutely be at the baking temperature by the time the batter hits the oven (this applies to all baking).
2. Time Matters
Also, the batter should get into the oven as quickly as possible once the wet ingredients hit the dry.
Both of these tips are based on the chemistry of baking powder – if it is double-acting, it starts to work as soon as it is moistened, and then again with heat. We want to work quickly and with the right heat to allow optimal rising – the results will be fluffy and light, as desired.
3. Do Not Overmix
Equally important, never over-mix. You want to stir gently, and only until there are no more flour patches. Over-mixing produces tough, dense muffins and loaves.
Can you freeze banana bread?
You sure can. Allow your banana bread loaf to first cool, then slice it with a bread knife, and wrap each piece with plastic wrap. I then store the individually wrapped pieces in a freezer bag, just to ensure they stay sealed nice and tightly. But of course… I am sure to re-use the plastic bags.
More Banana Bread Recipes
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups mashed over-ripe banana (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper (allowing an overhang on sides). Beat egg, mashed banana and melted butter in a large bowl until thoroughly blended. Stir in milk.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir until just moistened. Scrape batter into prepared pan. (You can slice some banana rounds on top for presentation, if you like.)
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.