The Best Banana Bread
This banana bread really is the best. Light and tender, moist but never dense. It’s the banana bread recipe that produces loaves (and muffins!) that are perfectly soft and full of banana flavour. Add a handful of chocolate chips and we are entering a new sphere of banana deliciousness. You’ve really gotta this particular recipe for yourself.
Tons of banana make it super moist and flavourful. It stays tender and fresh for days. You’ll want to squirrel away bananas (4 per loaf) and let them blacken. I recommend making a double batch – freeze one (or even better, spread the love and share one). I always have a stash of “very ripe” (read: brown, mushy, highly fragrant) bananas in the freezer, peeled, and broken in chunks and stored in a freezer bag. When the bag gets full, I make banana bread.
Some tips for perfect banana bread and muffins? Preheat preheat preheat. Your oven should absolutely be at the baking temperature by the time the batter hits the oven (this applies to all baking). Also, the batter should get into the oven as quickly as possible once the wet ingredients hit the dry.
Both of these tips are based on the chemistry of baking powder – if it is double-acting, it starts to work as soon as it is moistened, and then again with heat. We want to work quickly and with the right heat to allow optimal rising – the results will be fluffy and light, as desired.
Equally important, never over-mix. You want to stir gently, and only until there are no more flour patches.Over-mixing produces tough, dense muffins and loaves.
The Best Banana Bread Recipe
The best banana bread recipe ever, one of the most popular recipes on Foodess.
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups mashed over-ripe banana (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper (allowing an overhang on sides). Beat egg, mashed banana and melted butter in a large bowl until thoroughly blended. Stir in milk.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir until just moistened. Scrape batter into prepared pan. (You can slice some banana rounds on top for presentation, if you like.)
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.