This Blueberry Bran Muffin recipe makes bran muffins as sexy as bran muffins get. They are moist, perfectly sweet, and light in texture. Oh, and they’re healthy, too. Some may even call these muffins amazing.
Let’s talk the science of blueberry bran muffins (that sounds fun, right?) Bran absorbs liquid in the batter keeping the muffins moist. It also functions to cut through strands of gluten as they form, which means softer, more tender results. Gluten toughens muffins — it’s the reason that the more you stir muffin batter, the tougher they become. SO, bran makes a blueberry muffin recipe that is super forgiving.
Plus it’s healthy. AND tasty, if you ask me. A blueberry bran muffin has a rich, nutty flavour that a boring normal blueberry muffin lacks.
So Voila! Beautiful, healthy, moist blueberry bran muffins – as sexy as muffins get.
Moist Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries frozen are fine, no need to thaw
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by lining with papers or greasing well.
- Pour boiling water over wheat bran in a large bowl and stir until absorbed. Stir in brown sugar, vegetable oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to bran mixture, gently stirring until mostly combined (there should still be a few floury streaks). Fold in blueberries, then divide batter among muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes, until tops feel springy when gently pressed. Transfer to wire racks to cool.