These Healthy Rhubarb Muffins are soft and fluffy. Such a yummy breakfast treat for rhubarb lovers.
These soft, fluffy healthy rhubarb muffins are loaded with 1 1/2 cups of Greek yogurt, meaning tons of satisfying protein to give them actual staying power as a breakfast.
To further boost the healthiness*, I used avocado oil, which is similar to olive oil in it’s nutrition profile; both are high in anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Avocado oil has a very neutral flavour, perfect for baking. A dose of healthy fats also help these plump l’il muffins keep you satisfied.
Tips for Making Healthy Rhubarb Muffins
- Make sure to cut the rhubarb into very small pieces. I cut the stalks into strips lengthwise, then turn the strips on their sides and slice in half again crosswise before dicing into pea-sized bits. Because rhubarb is super tart and also quite firm, you don’t want big chunks of raw, sour rhubarb interrupting your soft, fluffy muffin. Small pieces ensure they soften and don’t overwhelm an otherwise perfect bite.
- Don’t overmix. If you work a muffin batter too much, you’ll develop too much gluten and wind up with tough, hard rhubarb muffins instead of these amazing soft, fluffy and tender ones. You’ll note at two different points in the instructions you only mix the batter until 80% incorporated. The flour will finish blending in when you fold in the rhubarb, and the rhubarb can be evenly distributed by taking a bit from here and a bit from there within the bowl of batter as you scoop out individual muffins.
- Crunchy sugar on top is pretty and optional, but adds a lovely crunch and sweetness to counter the tart rhubarb without adding too much sugar in the recipe itself.
*I mean, it’s still a muffin, which is typically one rung up from a cupcake on the healthiness ladder. This one is maybe 2 rungs up.
Healthy Rhubarb Muffins with Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cups full-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup avocado oil (swap in favourite neutral oil)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp almond extract (OPTIONAL)
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb (pieces the size of small peas)
- 2 tbsp raw demarara sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, milk, egg and extract(s).
- Add yogurt mixture to dry ingredients and use your biggest spatula to gently fold together, scraping the bottom, until 80% incorporated with floury streaks remaining.
- Gently fold in the rhubarb (reserve a few for topping if you like!). Stop mixing again when the rhubarb is only 80% incorporated. You can divide the rhubarb equally with your spoon as you scoop the batter into cups, don't risk over-mixing the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Top with reserved rhubarb if desired, and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Last Updated on August 22, 2021 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD