Hi, friends. What do you say about a super-moist pumpkin bread with fall spices and sweet cream cheese glaze?
(See, I told you I’d be right on board the pumpkin spice train!)
This loaf literally kept me up at night. I love to read, so every night I crawl into bed around 9 o’clock with a book and read for an hour or two before drifting off. But every night that I knew this pumpkin bread was on the counter, I couldn’t sleep or even focus on my novel until I had a piece.
Do you want to know what I am reading right now? I should probably be embarrassed, but I’m not. My 3-year-old picked it out for me in the children’s section of the library because there was a horse on the cover. I thought, hmm, why not? And now I’m all in. I can’t put it down.
I decided to keep the loaf breakfast-y by drizzling it with a light cream cheese glaze, but by all means feel free to crown it with a thick swirl of cream cheese frosting.
In Canada, pumpkin is typically sold in 14- or 28-oz cans, but in the US, it’s typically in 15 oz. You can save the extra couple of tablespoons of puree for a smoothie, or stir it into your oatmeal.
If you prefer to incorporate it into this loaf, just add the extra pumpkin to the measuring cup before you measure in the buttermilk (so you aren’t adding extra wet ingredients to an already-very-moist bread).
Guys, you can try to stop it, but this is happening.
Pumpkin Spice Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 14- oz can 1 3/4 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
Cream cheese drizzle
- 1 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- a few drops of milk if needed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper (allowing an overhang on sides).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, yogurt, melted butter and egg.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and gently fold it in until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top. Bake in centre of oven for 45-55 minutes, until top springs back when gently pressed in the middle. Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- Whisk together ingredients for icing, adding a bit of milk if needed to achieve drizzling consistency. Spoon icing over cooled loaf.