Thai Coconut Scallops with Corn Relish
This is a dish I think should be in everyone’s entertaining arsenal, because it’s deceptively easy, delicious and sure to make you look good.
Scallops are my number two favourite food, second only to lobster (<– that 6-year-old post makes me lol). I grew up on the Canadian North Atlantic where the tempestuous, icy cold ocean produces the sweetest, most succulent shellfish. And my own love story aside, they impress everyone, don’t they? I feel like seared scallops fly off the menu at any restaurant.
Spicy, aromatic green curry paste pairs with creamy, nutty coconut milk and a touch of brown sugar to make a sauce that bathes the juicy seafood in all the right flavours.
A simple corn and lime relish makes a sweet-spicy topping, providing a lovely contrast in colour and texture.
And when I said earlier that this recipe is easy, I mean there’s almost nothing for you to screw up. The sauce couldn’t be simpler – if you can manage a quick stir, you can make it. Scallops, while ideally are cooked to just opaque, are actually pretty forgiving. Even if overcooked, in the sauce they are still juicy with a nice texture. (I know this because we accidentally microwaved the crap out of the leftovers.)
Perfect for a delicious, stress-free dinner party.
I’ve given a range in amount of curry paste because the spice mixtures vary in the amount of heat. I used Thai Kitchen brand this time, and found it far less spicy than the brand I normal buy, called Namjai. So if you’re using the former, go with 6 tbsp, but if you’ve got Namjai or another brand, start with less and build on it, because they get pretty hot.
The coconut and green curry obviously aren’t native to the Nor’East, but those plump, briny scallops still taste like home to me. That said, feel free to swap in a firm, white fish (halibut or cod), or large shrimp, chicken breast, or even tofu if you prefer.
- 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 4-6 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 398 mL 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 lb 680 g scallops
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed, if frozen
- 1 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 green thai chili minced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced red onion or shallot
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan, then saute 4 tbsp curry paste until fragrant. Slowly whisk in coconut milk, then fish sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer, then taste for flavour and spiciness and add remaining 2 tbsp curry paste if needed. Add scallops and simmer until just opaque, about 4 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- To make corn relish, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add corn, and cook just to warm through. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve over scallops.