Try this Curry Chicken Salad with Grapes and fall in love with the Indian-spiced mayo and Greek yogurt dressing. It hits all the spots for a light, flavorful lunch recipe that takes 5 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
I love the perfect blend of creamy and crunchy in this flavor-packed Chicken Curry Salad. What makes this recipe so special?
- Simple Dressing: the curry salad dressing is a simple combination of curry powder, tangy mayo and Greek yogurt with a bit of lemon. It hits all the spots.
- One Bowl: Mix the entire salad up in the same bowl and you don’t even need a whisk. Stir in some sweet grapes and toasted almonds or cashews for a flavor and texture combination that is so more-ish and delicious.
- Perfect for Leftover Chicken. It’s a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken, but I like to make it for meal prep using my instant pot to batch cook frozen chicken breasts.
- Versatile: I’ve served this chicken salad at countless baby showers and birthday parties, but it’s just as perfect as a quick lunch as pita or lettuce wraps, or a potluck addition with cooked penne as a pasta salad.
Here’s What You Need for Curry Chicken Salad with Grapes
Curried Chicken Salad with Grapes Ingredients
- Cooked and Shredded Chicken: The protein base of your salad, offering a hearty texture. I used frozen chicken breasts cooked in the instant pot but you could easily use a rotisserie chicken.
- Mayonnaise: Adds creaminess and binds the ingredients together.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Provides a tangy flavor and a healthier alternative to using only mayonnaise.
- Celery: Brings a crisp texture and a fresh taste.
- Grapes: Adds a juicy, sweet element to balance the savory flavors. I like red grapes for the sweetness and color, but green grapes are fine too.
- Red Onion: Offers a slight sharpness and color contrast.
- Lemon Juice: Introduces a zesty note to brighten up the flavors.
- Curry Powder: This blend of Indian spices like cumin, turmeric and fenugreek gives the salad its distinct, warm, and aromatic curry flavor. Use something like this.
- Kosher Salt: For seasoning and enhancing the overall taste.
- Almond Slivers or Cashews: Adds a nutty crunch. Toast them on a baking sheet in the oven for extra flavor.
Variations and Substitutions
- Switch Up the Nuts: Try walnuts or pecans for a different nutty texture.
- Add Fruit: Apples, golden raisins or dried cranberries can add a different sweet note. I add fresh or canned mandarin oranges sometimes as well.
- Change the Protein: Swap chicken for turkey. Try my Indian salad with chickpeas for a vegetarian option.
- Spice It Up: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and black pepper for some heat.
- Lime juice: Swap the lemon for lime if you prefer.
- Swap the red onion: I use whatever onion-y bits I have on hand. Green onions (scallions), shallots or chives work perfectly in place of red onion.
Grab these Tools
- Large Bowl: For mixing all your ingredients.
- Chopping Board and Knife: Essential for chopping celery, grapes, and onions.
- Measuring Spoons: To accurately measure your curry powder, lemon juice, and salt.
- Spatula or Spoon: For stirring and combining the ingredients well.
- Serving Dish: To present your salad beautifully.
How to Make Curried Chicken Salad with Grapes: An Easy Guide
Preparing this curried chicken salad with grapes is a breeze. It’s a perfect blend of sweet, savory, and a touch of spice, ready in just a few steps.
Combine Chicken with Creamy Base
- Start by mixing your cooked chicken with mayonnaise and Greek yogurt in a large bowl. This step creates the creamy base for your salad.
Add Crunch and Sweetness
- Stir in chopped celery and grapes, along with minced red onion. This adds a lovely crunch and a burst of sweetness to the salad.
Season for Flavor
- Enhance the salad by adding lemon juice, curry powder, and salt. These ingredients will bring out the rich and aromatic flavors of the salad.
Finish with a Nutty Touch
- Lastly, mix in or sprinkle toasted almond slivers or cashews on top. This not only adds a delightful crunch but also a nutty flavor that complements the curry perfectly.
Make Ahead and Storage
Maximize the flavor and longevity of your curried chicken salad with these easy storage tips.
- Make Ahead: Prepare the salad a day in advance. The flavors meld beautifully when left to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Refrigeration: Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
- Avoid Freezing: Freezing is not recommended, as it can alter the texture and consistency of the mayonnaise and yogurt base.
- Refreshing Leftovers: If the salad seems a bit dry the next day, stir in a little extra mayonnaise or yogurt to refresh it.
How to Serve This Curry Chicken Salad Recipe
Serving this flavorful salad can be as creative or as simple as you like.
- On Greens: Serve over a bed of mixed greens or spinach for a light and healthy lunch.
- As a Sandwich: Scoop it onto your favorite bread or croissant for a delicious chicken salad sandwich. I love to add some mango chutney and mozzarella and grill it.
- With Crackers: It pairs wonderfully with crackers for a quick snack or appetizer.
- In a Wrap: Wrap it up in a fresh flour tortilla or roti with some veggies for a tasty and convenient lunch option. For a low-carb or gluten-free version, wrap it up in leaves of crisp iceberg lettuce as a lettuce wrap.
- Picnic Perfect: It’s an excellent choice for picnics or potlucks, as it’s easy to transport and always a crowd-pleaser. Double the dressing and add 1/2 lb of cooked penne to make it a pasta salad.
FAQs About Curried Chicken Salad
Just skimming through? Here are some quick answers to the commonly-asked questions about Curried Chicken Salad:
Can I use leftover chicken for this recipe?
Absolutely! Leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe.
How can I make this salad healthier?
You can use low-fat Greek yogurt and mayonnaise, or increase the ratio of yogurt to mayonnaise.
Is this salad suitable for meal-prepping?
Yes, it’s perfect for meal prep. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I freeze Curried Chicken Salad?
Freezing is not recommended as it can affect the texture of the mayonnaise and yogurt.
What are some alternative nuts I can use?
Walnuts, pecans, or even sunflower seeds can be great alternatives to almonds or cashews.
Can I make this salad vegetarian?
Certainly! Substitute the chicken with chickpeas or tofu for a vegetarian version.
Love Chicken Curry? Try These Recipes Next!
Curry Chicken Salad (with Grapes)
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ cup chopped grapes
- ¼ red onion minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ cup almond slivers or cashews toasted and chopped
- Combine cooked chicken with mayonnaise and yogurt in a large bowl.
- Stir in the chopped celery, grapes, and minced red onion.
- Add lemon juice, curry powder, and salt. Finally, stir in the cashews or sprinkle them on top for presentation.
Last Updated on January 16, 2024 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD