SunGold Kiwi Frozen Yogurt
Homemade frozen yogurt is one of my favourite summer treats. I love that it feels like ice cream, but it is considerably lighter. I made this version inspired by my favourite childhood flavour from our local fro yo chain in partnership with Zespri Kiwifruit.
If you followed my Australia trip on Instagram, you might remember how I obsessed over the golden kiwi, so sweet it could make your toes curl. Turns out it has a name, it was the Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, grown in New Zealand, and I found it again at home when I got back. I have been buying them in mass quantities at Costco, actually.
My littlest guy calls them wee-wees. He screams for them, pointing at the basket on the counter. If I leave them within his line of vision, it’s all I’ll hear all day.
They’re super sweet, with a tropical, almost passionfruit-y nuance, to make you want more and more and more.
Crazy nutrient-packed little things they are, too – a serving of two Zespri SunGold kiwifruit contains up to three times more vitamin C than an orange, as much potassium as a medium banana, and the same amount of fibre as a bowl of bran flakes. Superfruit status.
They’re delicious in frozen yogurt, too. I love how the tartness of the yogurt plays off their tropical flavour. You can absolutely make this recipe without an ice cream maker, it just doesn’t get as smooth as a yogurt-shop version. If you have the ice cream maker, I recommend you do use it. I love the way the paddle beats in air to make it fluffier and smoother as it freezes. I transferred mine to a freezer bag fitted with a star icing tip so that I could pipe it into a swirl.
Fruit? Check! Yogurt? Check! You could totally have this for breakfast.
For more information on Zespri Kiwifruit and great recipes visit www.zesprikiwi.com (there’s a whole section on kiwifruit cocktails, I’m just sayin’. Because #health, obviously.)
SunGold Kiwi Frozen Yogurt
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 chilled Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit peeled and chopped (plus more for serving, if desired)
- 1/4 cup + up to 2 tbsp more granulated sugar
- Toppings as desired (I used crumbled graham crackers, but you could add other chopped fruit, or granola, too)
- Combine the yogurt, kiwi, and 1/4 cup of the sugar in blender container (in that order). Blend on high speed for 60 seconds, or until completely smooth. Taste and blend in remaining sugar if more sweetness is desired.
- Process in an ice cream maker until it reaches the consistency of soft serve. Eat right away, or then transfer to an airtight container to freeze until firmer.
- To make without an ice cream maker, freeze kiwis in advance and proceed with blending. Freeze in an airtight container until firm enough to scoop.