Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter

ravioli1 Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter
Mother nature is having a no-holds-barred temper tantrum outside my apartment. The rain is pelting down so hard that the windows are trembling in their frames. And the wind is thrashing so violently that it sounds like there’s a tornado brewing in our chimney. Hence the need for a dinner that doubles as a warm hug. Enter brown butter drizzled over homemade squash ravioli.

Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables. Mashed, I love its thick, starchy texture – it is sweet, subtle, creamy and comforting. I equally love it cubed and roasted, then tossed with goat cheese in a pasta. Or pureed with a touch of cream to make a simple and delicious soup. Not to mention its starring role in baked goods like muffins. Also, a butternut squash packs a lot more flesh than other squash varieties due to its shape. It has only a small cavity with seeds in the knob at the base, and the entire length is solid and edible. In need of a comfort food to take the chill out of the howling wind, I opted for roasting a squash as a filling for chewy, homemade pasta.
squash Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter
I started by baking the butternut squash in the oven till it softened and caramelized – always a surefire way to warm your belly and your heart. I mashed the soft squash with some fresh sage and mascarpone to make creamy filling for some homemade ravioli. I rolled out some long sheets of fresh pasta, and studded it with teaspoonfuls of the squash mixture. A little bit of folding, snipping, and a crimp here and there, and ta da! The brown-sugary sweetness of the squash pairs beautifully with a simple brown butter sauce, with some chopped, toasted hazelnuts adding crunch. Some freshly shaved, nutty Parmigiano-Reggiano finished it perfectly.
ravioli Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter
Let the storm rage on, just gimme a warm brown-butter hug with some toothsome fresh pasta and creamy squash.

Fresh Pasta

Taken from Williams-Sonoma

• 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour,
    plus more as needed
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Flour for dusting

Place the 2 1/4 cups flour in a mound on a work surface. Make a well in the center large enough to hold the beaten eggs and pour the eggs into the well. Using a fork, begin gradually incorporating some of the flour from the sides, taking care not to break the flour wall. When the eggs are no longer runny, you can stop worrying about the wall. Continue working in more flour until the dough is no longer wet.

Begin kneading the dough by hand, adding as much additional all-purpose flour as needed until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Dust baking sheets with flour. Divide the dough in half. Keep one half on the work surface, covered with a kitchen towel to prevent it from drying. Set up your pasta machine alongside another work surface. Lightly flour the work surface with some of the reserved sieved flour. Using a rolling pin, flatten the other dough half into a rectangle thin enough to go through the rollers at the widest setting. Pass the dough through the rollers once, then lay the resulting ribbon down on the work surface and flour it lightly. Fold into thirds lengthwise to make a rectangle and flour both sides lightly. Flatten the dough with the rolling pin until it is thin enough to go through the rollers again. With one of the two open edges going first, pass the dough through the rollers nine more times at the widest setting; after each time, flour, fold and flatten the dough as described. After 10 trips through the wide rollers, the dough should be completely smooth and supple.

Now you are ready to thin the dough. Starting at the second-to-widest setting, pass the dough through the rollers repeatedly, setting the rollers one notch narrower each time. When the pasta ribbon gets unwieldy, cut it in half and continue rolling one part at a time until the dough reaches the desired thinness.

Arrange the finished pasta sheets on the prepared baking sheets and cover with kitchen towels to prevent drying. Repeat the entire process with the second half of dough.

Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter

• 1 2-lb butternut squash
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp fresh sage leaves, minced
  • 4 oz mascarpone
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano, optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place flesh side down on baking sheet, and bake until very soft, about 40 minutes.

2. In a dry pan over medium heat, lightly toast chopped hazelnuts. Set aside. In the same pan, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and cook onion with sage until soft and golden. Scoop flesh from cooked squash, and add to onion mixture and mash together. Allow to cool slightly, then add mascarpone and combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Drop teaspoonfuls of squash mixture about an inch apart the length of a sheet of pasta. Fold pasta over filling, and use dampened fingers to seal the entire length. Press pasta down around all sides of filling to seal. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the pasta into squares of equal size, each with a dollop of filling in the center. Fold the cut edges under, around all four sides of ravioli. Use a fork to crimp and seal. Repeat with remaining pasta sheet. Drop ravioli into a pot of gently boiling water and cook until they are tender, and rise to the surface (about 7 minutes).

4. Heat butter and hazelnuts in a pan over medium heat until butter browns. Add broth, and remove from heat. Drizzle brown butter sauce over ravioli on plate, and top with *shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired.

*A vegetable peeler works great to make shavings and curls.

1. Kim

March 16, 2009 6:45 am - Reply

Wow. What a wild and incredible mix of recipes you have on your site. I love the looks of this one – here in France I have to go looking to find squash, but this defintely inspires me!

2. Kim

March 15, 2009 10:45 pm - Reply

3. Sophie

March 16, 2009 10:31 am - Reply

MMMMMMMM….superbe!!! It looks so appetizing with beautiful pictures!!!

4. Sophie

March 16, 2009 2:31 am - Reply

MMMMMMMM….superbe!!! It looks so appetizing with beautiful pictures!!!

5. Pallian

March 16, 2009 10:52 am - Reply

This was a delicious dinner! Thanks :)

6. Pallian

March 16, 2009 2:52 am - Reply

This was a delicious dinner! Thanks :)

7. pigpigscorner

March 16, 2009 4:25 pm - Reply

ooo looks so pretty and the flavours sound amazing!

8. pigpigscorner

March 16, 2009 8:25 am - Reply

ooo looks so pretty and the flavours sound amazing!

9. Carolyn

March 17, 2009 12:25 am - Reply

Wow! I think I have all the ingredients for that in my kitchen right now! Give me a chance for more practice with the pasta roller for my Kitchen Aid. Great idea!

10. Carolyn

March 16, 2009 4:25 pm - Reply

11. redmenace

March 17, 2009 3:17 pm - Reply

It’s only 8 in the morning and this is making me feel like I’m starving. All of my favorite things in one meal. Thanks!

12. redmenace

March 17, 2009 7:17 am - Reply

13. Hayley

March 17, 2009 5:02 pm - Reply

I had this same dish for dinner last night! Although I don’t have a wondeful picture, like you, to show for it. Thanks for sharing!

14. Hayley

March 17, 2009 9:02 am - Reply

15. MariannaF

March 18, 2009 2:19 pm - Reply

looks so yum!!! lovely work, makes me want to give a go at this too at home!

16. MariannaF

March 18, 2009 6:19 am - Reply

looks so yum!!! lovely work, makes me want to give a go at this too at home!

17. Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,C

March 18, 2009 2:29 pm - Reply

You’ve sold me on this dish! I am literally drooling over that first photo! It looks so incredibly delicious!

18. Sara

March 19, 2009 4:34 pm - Reply

This looks delicious and gorgeous. I’ve been looking for a great butternut squash ravioli recipe and this sounds like it.

19. Sara

March 19, 2009 8:34 am - Reply

20. Elyse

March 20, 2009 3:00 am - Reply

WOW! I mean, seriously. I don’t usually crave non-sweets, but this pasta look so amazing. Butternut squash and marscarpone?! Sign me up. This dish sounds divinely good.

21. Elyse

March 19, 2009 7:00 pm - Reply

22. Nicole

August 19, 2009 8:53 pm - Reply

This ravioli filling is one of the best things I’ve ever had, and it’s quickly become a favorite recipe over the past several months. However, I would not suggest using the posted fresh pasta recipe – it might just be me, but the result was extremely dry and impossible to wrestle into a pasta dough without the addition of two more eggs and titrated dustings of extra flour.

THIS fresh pasta recipe is the only one I’ve ever found on the internet which did not fail me miserably, and it came from Martha Stewart, of all people. Here it is:

3 cups flour
    5 large eggs

If you use extra large or medium eggs, you will have too sticky or too dry a pasta respectively, so flour needs to be adjusted accordingly. Nonetheless, this is the only fresh pasta recipe I will ever use again. Experimenting with other ratios has brought me nothing but utter frustration.

23. Nicole

August 19, 2009 12:53 pm - Reply

3 cups flour
    5 large eggs

24. Tawna Uttech

February 12, 2010 1:47 pm - Reply

Thanks for explaning in such detail on how to make Biryanis. I like to have printed copy in front of me when making Biryani. That way I do not have to keep going back the tape. Much appriciated.

25. Tawna Uttech

February 12, 2010 5:47 am - Reply

26. Cecile Danczak

February 12, 2010 2:45 pm - Reply

A The Best Blog about how to cook FLEXTARIAN recipes.

27. Cecile Danczak

February 12, 2010 6:45 am - Reply

A The Best Blog about how to cook FLEXTARIAN recipes.

28. Frankie Borghese

April 24, 2010 6:41 pm - Reply

Very nice information, I want to take a look more for your updates. It looks interesting. Thanks to the great post.

29. Frankie Borghese

April 24, 2010 10:41 am - Reply

30. S Lausch

November 17, 2010 11:19 am - Reply

Your Artisan bread and Butternut squash ravioli sounds scrummy. I shall have to try then both.

31. Sylvia Wilkins

January 13, 2011 10:32 pm - Reply

I love butternut squash! My mom used to make it all the time in the summer when I was growing up. I’m always looking for new and improved ways to fix it, so I’m definitely going to give this one a try.. Can’t wait to see what it tastes like– if it looks like your pictures, I should be good!

-Sylvia
    Replacement Windows

32. Heather Robb

February 19, 2012 12:13 am - Reply

I tried this recipe today and loved it! I did adapt it to include a couple of cloves of garlic in the filling, and a shallot instead of a regular onion. I also used walnuts instead of hazelnut. Delicious!