Learn how to make this easy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe and find out why everyone who tastes it falls in LOVE!
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe
I just wanted to stick my face in a bowl of this butternut squash pasta sauce and motorboat.
Chewy fettuccine smothered in a rich sauce, which is comforting and flavourful, and actually tippy-toes tentatively toward healthy compared to traditional Alfredo.
Pureed squash and chicken broth replace most of the butter and cream, but don’t let that deter you. It’s not health food.
It’s delicious food.
Why Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce is a Year-Round Winner:
- Fall and Winter Comfort: This sauce is the epitome of comfort food during the colder months. Its warm, earthy flavors and creamy consistency make it a perfect choice for cozy dinners.
- Health Benefits: Butternut squash is packed with nutrients like vitamins A and C, fiber, and antioxidants. By using it in your pasta sauce, you’re adding a healthy twist to your meal.
- Adaptability: While it’s a fantastic autumn and winter sauce, it can be adapted for other seasons too. Pair it with lighter pastas and fresh herbs for a spring or summer twist.
- Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly: It’s a fantastic option for those following a vegetarian or vegan diet. Simply swap out the dairy for plant-based alternatives.
Creamy butternut squash pasta sauce is a delightful addition to your repertoire. Its rich and velvety texture, combined with the sweet, nutty flavors of butternut squash, make it a versatile sauce that can be enjoyed year-round.
If you’re craving a warm bowl of comfort, this sauce is sure to please your taste buds.
I started with browned sausage, but after I few bites decided it would have been perfectly satisfying if left vegetarian. So you have options. You could alternatively sub in chicken breast for the sausage. Totally your call.
It’s finished with a liberal showering of freshly cracked black pepper and nutty Parmigiano.
Do you not want to just plant your face mouth-first?
Other Favorite Creamy Pasta Recipes:
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce (Creamy + Delicious!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more as needed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb peeled butternut squash cut in 1″ cubes
- 1 lb dry pasta
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- freshly ground black pepper for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, then add garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add chicken broth, salt and squash and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook, covered, until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water and cook 9 minutes or until al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water, then drain in a colander and return to the pasta pot.
- Transfer squash mixture to blender along with cream and carefully process until very smooth (if your blender doesn't have steam vents, use an immersion blender instead, or else puree in two batches).
- Pour over pasta and toss, adding reserved cooking water as needed to thin it out. Add sausage and toss. Serve topped with black pepper and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Last Updated on February 12, 2024 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD