I have this thing for nachos. They might be my kryptonite. My kids love them, too. I had a major craving yesterday, and since I had a sweet potato kicking around, I turned it into nutritionally-upgraded “chips”.
I make this super quick-and-easy cheese sauce with just milk, shredded cheese, and corn starch. It is super delicious and can be used on everything from nachos to cauliflower to shortcut homemade mac & cheese.
I turned it into a simple lunch with black beans and cilantro, but feel free to add onions, tomato, olives, fresh or pickled jalapenos, or any other toppings you love.
This post is in collaboration with Horizon (family-friendly, no-weird-ingredients, wholesome, yummy products). As you might already know, I teamed up with them this year in their #AllForWeird (just not in food) campaign – don’t you love that slogan? I used their Organic Mexican Style Shredded Cheese in this recipe.
My 4-year-old Theo didn’t trust me at first when I told him these were nachos and tried to bail on the meal altogether, but I encouraged (threatened?) him to at least try them, and then he inhaled the whole plate like a Roomba.
I was very self-satisfied.
The one sweet potato really only serves to nacho-hungry people, so double if you’re feeding more, just make sure your slices are in a single layer or they will be soggy and not crisp.
Follow Horizon on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for wholesome inspiration, and sign up for their newsletter for recipes in your inbox. And thank you, dear friends and readers, for supporting me in the thoughtfully-chosen sponsorships that keep the Foodess kitchen running!
Sweet Potato Nachos with Easy 3-Ingredient Cheese Sauce
For Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup Horizon Organic whole milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Horizon Organic shredded cheese
- 1 large sweet potato very thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp canola or peanut oil
- 1 cup cooked canned works well black beans
- green onion cilantro, and/or other toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (with convection turned on, if you have it). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide sweet potato slices between baking sheets and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle nicely with salt and toss to coat evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping potatoes and rotating pans once. They're done when they've browned a bit on top and have crispy edges.
- Meanwhile, make cheese sauce. Pour milk into a small saucepan off of heat. Whisk in cornstarch, then bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently to avoid scorching the bottom. Let boil for a minute then remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Top sweet potatoes with black beans (warmed, if desired), cheese sauce, and other favourite toppings.