This post may contain affiliate links.
Warm up from the inside-out with this comforting Sweet Potato Soup Curry Chickpea Soup. It’s packed full of flavour and heartiness for a nourishing and satisfying meal.
Sweet Potato Curry Chickpea Soup Ingredients
- Get ready for an explosion of flavour in your bowl! Start off with an aromatic combination of onions, garlic, jalapenos, curry paste and cayenne for the soup base.
- Sweet yams add body to this spicy blend, while coconut milk provides a nutty finish and brings a creamy richness.
- For an extra fun twist, try subbing in natural peanut butter for some of the chickpeas – it transforms this soup into an African-inspired delight!
- This truly is a meal in a bowl – delicious, filling and full of warming spices. Time to get experimenting!
Here’s what you need:
- Vegetable oil: a neutral-tasting oil that is used for cooking
- Jalapeno pepper: for a bit of heat
- Red bell pepper: adds a bit of sweetness
- Curry paste or powder: made of herbs, spices and other seasonings, it packs loads of flavor
- Cayenne powder: ground cayenne pepper powder packs lots of heat
- Chickpeas: these legumes are hearty and high in protein and fiber
- Sweet potato: a root vegetable with an orange flesh and sweet taste when cooked
- Unsalted chicken broth: or swap in veggie broth
- Coconut milk: for creamy richness
- Chopped cilantro: fragrant green leaves often used as garnish or seasoning in Latin American and Indian cuisine
How to make Sweet Potato Curry Chickpea Soup
Ready to create a flavourful dish that will keep your taste buds tingling?
First, heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. In the pot, sauté onions, jalapeno pepper and bell pepper with 1 tsp of salt until softened – usually about 5 minutes.
Then add garlic for an extra hit of flavour and cook for two more minutes. Throw in some aromatic curry paste for an added kick and stir for another minute.
Add chickpeas, sweet potato, chicken broth, water and coconut milk to the mix. Give it one final seasoning with the remaining salt, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Let it cook away until the yams are tender – around 30 minutes – then puree with an immersion blender and top it off with chopped cilantro (reserving some as garnish if you wish!). Enjoy!
Make ahead and storage instructions
Why not make life easier by prepping ahead and storing the soup for later? It’s great for weekday lunches! Make a batch on Sunday and enjoy a no-brain-required midday meal for the next 3 or 4 days.
To make ahead, simply cook the Sweet Potato Coconut Milk Soup with Chickpeas until it is tender, then let it cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container.
It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To serve, reheat over low heat on the stovetop, adding additional broth or coconut milk if necessary. Stir occasionally and cook until heated through.
Garnish with any remaining cilantro leaves and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Curry Chickpea Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp curry paste or you could use powder, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 can chickpeas drained (about 2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato cubed
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk slightly less than 2 cups
- 2 ½ tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Cook onions, jalapeno pepper, and bell pepper with 1 tsp of the salt until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, one minute.
- Add chickpeas, sweet potato, chicken broth, water and coconut milk. Season with remaining salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until yams are tender, about 30 minutes. Puree using an immersion blender. Stir in cilantro, reserving a bit for garnish if desired.
Last Updated on April 2, 2023 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD
This Sweet Potato Curry Chickpea Soup is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Delicious.