Crisp, spicy chickpeas in a Buffalo Chickpea Wrap! Veggies, creamy vegan buffalo sauce and the tastiest dipping sauce. It’s a 10/10 delicious recipe for vegans and non-vegans alike.
This easy Buffalo Chickpea Wrap recipe is filled with crispy, spicy chickpeas, crunchy vegetables, and a creamy vegan buffalo sauce. Served with a tangy dipping sauce, you’ll be craving another one before the first wrap is gone.
Be sure to make enough for seconds – they won’t last long!
Ingredients in this scrumptious buffalo chickpea wrap
There are 4 components of this irresistibly delicious spicy buffalo chickpea salad wrap:
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas: Crispy, flavorful chickpeas to give your wrap a delicious kick!
- Veggies: Crunchy, fresh vegetables for a perfect texture and added nutrients. I love shredded carrot, red cabbage and sunflower sprouts, but you can also wrap romaine lettuce, red onion, or tomatoes into your flour tortilla.
- Creamy Vegan Buffalo Sauce: Rich vegan sauce with a distinct Buffalo flavor.
- Tangy Dipping Sauce: A zesty cream dip with the perfect balance of tartness and creaminess gives blue cheese dip vibes to a vegan buffalo wrap.
For crispy roasted buffalo chickpeas
- Oil: Use a high-heat quality oil to roast your chickpeas. I love the health profile of avocado oil.
- Canned chickpeas: Packed with protein, canned chickpeas are such a great, healthy quick lunch option. The chickpeas should be pre-drained and patted dry to ensure a fantastic, crispy texture. For best flavor, don’t buy unsalted chickpeas.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the flavors of your ingredients and gives them an extra kick. Use more if your chickpeas are unsalted.
- Onion Powder: Provides a subtle onion flavor to add depth to your wrap.
- Garlic Powder: Gives the wrap a hint of garlic that compliments other flavors perfectly.
- Cayenne Pepper: An additional level of heat to spice up your wrap!
For buffalo chickpea salad dressing
- Mayo: A creamy and flavorful dressing that is perfect for adding a touch of tang and making a deliciously creamy buffalo sauce. Choose vegan mayo if you like.
- Hot Sauce: Frank’s Red Hot sauce is the original, authentic hot sauce to use in buffalo sauce. It adds flavor and kick that won’t overpower the other ingredients.
- Sugar: Sweeten up your sauce with a teaspoon of sugar for the perfect balance of savory and sweet.
To make the creamy dipping sauce
This sauce is totally optional, but so yummy. It makes enough to generously dunk four wraps, and any leftovers are delicious as a salad dressing. If you aren’t vegan, add a bit of crumbled blue cheese (or follow the blue cheese dip instructions in this baked buffalo chicken wings recipe).
- Plain Yogurt: A creamy base for the sauce that adds a hint of tartness and tang. Use plant-based yogurt for a vegan option.
- Mayo: Adds a rich and creamy base to the sauce. Use vegan mayo if you like.
- Lemon Juice: Adds brightness and citrusy notes to make the flavors really pop.
- Parsley: Delivers an aromatic freshness to the sauce with subtle herbal undertones.
- Shallot: Enhances the savory qualities of the sauce with a mild onion flavor.
- Kosher Salt: Rounds out the flavors in this delicious sauce with just the right amount of saltiness.
How to make a buffalo chickpea wrap
This recipe is so quick, simple and delish. A can of chickpeas is roasted in a flavour-packed spice mixture then tossed in the tastiest creamy buffalo sauce for a dreamy buffalo chickpea salad.
Pile the buffalo chickpea salad into a wrap, toast it until golden and crispy on the outside, and serve it with a creamy herb dipping sauce (or simply serve with store-bought regular or vegan ranch!).
Roast the chickpeas
- Get your oven preheated and ready to go: Preheat oven to 450°F
- Gather all of your ingredients and get ready to mix them up: In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, salt and spices plus 2 tbsp of the oil.
- Spread out the chickpea mixture on a baking sheet in a single layer so that everything gets an even bake.
- Put it in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp, stirring halfway through to ensure an even bake.
- Enjoy your tasty roasted chickpeas!
Make the buffalo sauce
- Don’t worry about cleaning the bowl, just go ahead and add the mayo, hot sauce and sugar to the chickpea bowl to make this amazing buffalo sauce.
- Use a spatula to scrape in the slightly-cooled crispy chickpeas you roasted earlier.
- Give it a mix until all the ingredients are evenly distributed, and get ready to enjoy your tasty creation!
Assemble the buffalo chickpea wraps
- Time to assemble! Divide the Buffalo Chickpeas among your wraps, add some shredded cabbage and carrots, and roll them up.
- Heat up a pan with remaining 1 tbsp of oil, and toast your wraps until they are golden brown. This part is optional, but boy oh boy is that crunchy outer wrap irresistible.
- Make sure to whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl to make a delicious dipping sauce to go with your warm wraps. Enjoy!
Make-ahead and storage instructions
- If you want to make the buffalo chickpea wrap recipe ahead of time, you can prep all the components in advance and store them separately.
- Skip the toasting step to make a batch fully in advance for the week’s healthy meal prep. Wrap them tightly individually to grab and go.
- Store the Buffalo Chickpeas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Re-crisp them in the oven before serving if you like max crunch.
- The dipping sauce should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Because a sauce with mayonnaise tends to split after freezing, it’s not recommended to freeze a buffalo chickpea wrap.
A typical chickpea salad contains a dressing (either oil or mayonnaise based) and flavor boosters like minced onion, garlic, spices and herbs. This buffalo chickpea salad is packed with spicy buffalo flavor. If you like this, you’ll also love my creamy Indian chickpea salad recipe.
Chickpea salad is good for you because it’s packed with plant protein and fiber. It’s super filling to keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
Chickpeas not only need to be soaked before roasting, they need to be fully cooked before roasting. If you attempt to roast dry chickpeas, you will probably break your teeth.
Canned chickpeas are the quick and convenient option, but you can alternatively use home-boiled chickpeas, following the instructions for stovetop of instant pot/pressure cooker chickpeas in this Indian Chickpea Curry recipe)
Got chewy roasted chickpeas? It could be that your oven temp was too low or the cooking time was too long. Try increasing the temperature and cooking for a shorter amount of time – 15-20 minutes should do the trick! Longer and you can dry out your chickpeas making them chewy instead of crisp. And don’t forget to stir occasionally for even baking.
Roasted chickpeas not as crispy as you’d like? It’s likely that the oven temperature wasn’t hot enough or the chickpeas were not dry enough. Read on for my expert tips for perfectly-crispy chickpeas every time.
Expert tips for perfectly-crispy chickpeas
These are the secrets to the perfect golden crunch on your roasted chickpeas:
- Ensure your chickpeas are well drained and patted dry.
- A spice coating makes for an extra-dry surface perfect for crisping.
- Preheat the oven properly until it reaches a screaming hot 450ºF (don’t be tempted to pop the pan in earlier).
- For ultra crispy results, you can even preheat the pan and oil during oven preheating like is done in this spiced roasted chickpeas recipe. Just be extremely careful when removing the hot pan and adding chickpeas, as this hot oil can burn badly.
- For even crisping, stir every 5 minutes while baking.
Variations on the buffalo chickpea wrap
- For a lighter lunch, I love to wrap my buffalo chickpea mixture up in leaves of romaine or iceberg lettuce.
- Swap in blue cheese dressing for the tangy dip to take it further in the direction of buffalo chicken wings.
- Grab a gluten-free wrap for a GF version.
- Skip the toasting step to make in advance for meal prep.
- Swap in white beans for the chickpeas if you like.
If you love this chickpea wrap, don’t miss these other chickpea recipes
Make snacking healthy and delicious with this quick and easy recipe for roasted spiced chickpeas from Foodess. Perfect for lunch boxes, or as a crunchy topping for salads.
And speaking of salads, make your next salad a nutritious and flavourful one with this delicious Spice-Roasted Cauliflower, Kale & Chickpea Salad with Yogurt. It’s a great full-meal vegetarian salad recipe.
Buffalo Chickpea Wrap Recipe
- 3 tbsp oil divided use
- 1 14- oz can chickpeas drained and patted dry
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
For Creamy Vegan Buffalo Sauce:
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 large wraps
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
For Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup plain plant-based yogurt
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, salt and spices plus 2 tbsp of the oil. Spread chickpea mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until chickpeas are crisp, stirring halfway through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make buffalo sauce in the same bowl (no need to wash). Combine mayo, hot sauce and sugar.
- Scrape the crispy chickpeas into the bowl with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Divide Buffalo Chickpeas among wraps. Add shredded cabbage and carrots. Roll them up and toast in a hot pan with remaining 1 tbsp oil until golden brown.
To make dipping sauce:
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve with warm wraps.
Last Updated on August 30, 2023 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD