This is one deceptive chocolate smoothie. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It looks like a chocolate milkshake. But this Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothie is packed with protein and nothing but totally healthy ingredients.
It’s sweetened with ripe bananas and dates and filled out with oats, which fill you up and boast lots of soluble fibre – and actually make the smoothie creamier. The cocoa powder is basically just a yummy, antioxidant-rich bonus.
Skim milk powder is added as a protein boost (and I don’t know why it’s skim milk powder is such a secret!). When I was counselling as a dietitian, I recommended it all the time as an inexpensive, practical and healthier substitute for artificially sweetened/flavoured, highly-processed, expensive, basically awful protein powders.
A quarter cup of skim milk powder has about 11 grams of protein and costs a few cents. Only a few grams less than an overpriced whey, soy, hemp (or whatever!) based protein supplement that likely comes with a laundry list of ingredients you’d do better to avoid. It has a naturally pleasant milky flavour.
Anyway, this yummy breakfast milkshake… er, I mean smoothie… is super creamy, super chocolatey, basically everything that is good and right in the world. 🙂
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¼ cup large flake oats or even steel cut, if you have a powerful blender
- 2 frozen bananas cut in thirds
- 6 pitted dates
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup skim milk powder
- Up to 1 cup of ice optional
- Add all ingredients (except ice) to blender and blend on high speed until very smooth, about 45 seconds. Add ice and blend again if you prefer a colder/thicker smoothie.