These brownie-like dark chocolate cookies have chewy edges and soft middles studded with melty white chocolate chunks. I’m pretty sure Santa, or any sane human, would be very happy with your decision to make them.
Are you enjoying the lead-up to Christmas? For me, this is the absolute best part – the 24 December days of baking, music, lights, gift shopping, and the all around warm fuzzies. It doesn’t hurt that my birthday is right before Christmas, too.
This is the first year we will be in Vancouver on our own. Every other year (of the 10 we’ve lived here) we have either visited my family in New Brunswick, or Adarsh’s family in Dubai and India, or else family has come to us.
It’ll be different, but I’m so caught up in newborndom and general busy-ness to really think about it too much. And our older son is finally starting to understand what’s going on, which makes all the preparations so exciting and fun.
These cookies freeze very well, so feel free to bake in advance. Just freeze them in a single layer before packing into freezer bags, because they are soft and will stick together otherwise.
Be SURE to underbake them for the chewy brownie magic. They should be set at the edges and starting to crack, but should be visibly underdone in the centre – they’ll firm up more as they cool.
As always, the better quality the chocolate, the better tasting the result. Use a dark bar that you’d enjoy eating. Then (this is the important part) try not to eat it before you bake the cookies.
Chewy Dark Chocolate Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks
- 10 ounces 300 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 ounces 100 g good quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Place chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes, until 80% melted. Add butter and stir until chocolate and butter are both melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla extract. Slowly add eggs, whisking constantly with a fork until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Stir in three-quarters of the chopped white chocolate. Chill dough 30 minutes (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Form dough into 2" balls. Press a white chocolate chunk into the top of each cookie ball and place 2" apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes, until set at edges and starting to crack but still sof in the centre. Cool a few minutes on baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.