In this easy Sweet Potato Soup recipe, sweet potatoes and corn are simmered in coconut milk for a delicious, healthy & filling soup.
This sweet potato soup recipe has been on rotation in my kitchen for many years. It is filling, satisfying, really warms the belly and clears any sign of a head cold. The kids love the sweet and nutty flavours. The spice level is subtle, totally family-friendly.
- Corn and sweet potatoes: they complement each other so beautifully with their sweet, earthy flavours. Feel free to use frozen corn (and even frozen sweet potato cubes if you can find them, to make it even simpler).
- Aromatics: the natural sweetness of the base provides a perfect backdrop for warming ginger, subtle garlic and a bit of chilli.
- Cilantro: adds a fresh, citrusy flavour.
- Coconut milk: contributes a nutty counterpoint and lovely creaminess.
NOTE: I freeze whole ginger root and grate it from frozen, freeze chillies and run under hot water briefly before mincing, and bulk-mince garlic in the food processor and freeze using this method. This makes prep even quicker and this yummy soup is always possible spontaneously with mostly pantry/freezer ingredients.
Tips for Making This Sweet Potato Soup:
- Cooking the onions takes about 10 minutes, so I start here and use that cooking time to prep the remaining ingredients. No time wasted waiting.
- Simmering the sweet potatoes is the other time-consuming part, but totally hands off. Feel free to speed things up by using the pressure cooker. 6 minutes on high pressure for perfectly-soft sweet potatoes.
Serve with warm naan or oven-crisped pita bread brushed with olive oil.
Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut & Corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided use
- 1 serrano or Thai chilli pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 0.5 oz fresh ginger about 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- 4 cups chicken broth if using low sodium, you’ll need about 1 tsp more salt
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 14- oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook the onions with 1/2 tsp of salt until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chilli, garlic, ginger and cilantro and cook another 2 minutes until soft.
- Add broth, sweet potato chunks, remaining tsp of salt, coconut milk and corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or by blending it in two batches with a standing blender. Taste, add more salt if needed. Top with more cilantro, if desired.