Sour Cherry Lemon Muffins
I’ve been in Dubai for a week now, visiting family. So far I’ve managed to stay away from my laptop and I must say, vacation-mode has been wonderful. Amma (Adarsh’s mom) has been taking such good care of us – greeting us every morning with steaming hot chai before ushering us to a breakfast table groaning with savoury South Indian specialties – poori, bhaji, masala dosas, sambar, idli, uppuma, puttu, chana… I am quite possibly in heaven.
Everything is eaten with the hands – for the experienced, it can be done with class. For me, dining resembles a starving monkey’s first encounter with human food. Actually, it puts me exactly on the same eating skill level as my toddler – with every handful of soupy lentils I rush to my open mouth, half gets in – the rest is splattered over my shirt, the table, the floor, etc.
Good thing I’m otherwise adorable. 🙂
While I’ve been stuffing myself baboon-style with lentil-and-rice crispy pancakes and fluffy dumplings served with spicy-tangy tamarind-based sambar, it’s hard to remember breakfasting on a muffin. But if I had to turn in my Indian feast for any muffin, it would probably be this one.
Fluffy, tender lemon-y muffins studded with juicy sour cherries. Lemon and sour cherries are two of my favourite things, and I’m so happy I brought them together.
The sour cream makes them incredibly moist and rich, a perfect foil to the tart, juicy cherries. I even love their crimson-marbled appearance. They’re special enough to make it to my Christmas brunch table.
I made the recipe for a double batch because they disappear so quickly, and freeze so wonderfully – if you’re going to put the effort into making them, why not have some in the freezer for a busy weekday morning?
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cup pitted sour cherries fresh, frozen (no need to thaw) or jarred (drained well)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners, or grease them with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, sour cream, milk, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated. Fold in cherries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly pressed.