This grapefruit cocktail is made with a homemade rosemary syrup. It’s bitter, sweet, a bit sour – really nicely balanced. I used gin, because I really love the herbal flavour, but if you like something more neutral, you could swap in vodka.
I love cocktails, and I’m a bit obsessed with flavoured syrups. They are really easy (like, as easy as making tea) – all you have to do is dissolve sugar in water, then toss in something flavourful (like herbs or spices) to infuse. This time of year I make a spiced syrup for Merry Manhattans, and a straight-up ginger syrup is really delicious, too.
The pretty copper tray and glasses are from Martha Stewart’s collection at Macy’s – she has an entire line of beautiful copper barware (and actually, it is on sale 25% off until December 23rd).
I really love copper for the holidays, don’t you? It’s warmer than gold, with a pinky glow. I’ve had the tray on my kitchen island for weeks, with fruit and vases of foraged greenery. It gets lots of compliments.
Because spending and storing can get out of control quickly when buying the different spirits and liqueurs called for in cocktail recipes, I tend to pick just one recipe to make over the course of the season on repeat for different people who come over. A signature drink for Christmas, one for fall, one for spring, and one (or a few) for summer. This saves me having a dozen or more mostly-full bottles tumbling out and beaning me as I open my overhead bar cupboard.
If you’re looking for your signature drink of the season, this one is really festive and refreshing, and I have a Christmas Sangria coming soon, with pomegranate and orange and spices.
I had the matching pitcher and stirrer, too, which is tall and slim and really gorgeous. And then I toppled over a photography set and sent it crashing from a height to the hardwood floor (while shooting the sangria I mentioned, actually). Why am I so klutzy? WHY???
Rosemary-Grapefruit Gin Fizz
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs plus more for garnish
- Fresh grapefruit slices to garnish (optional)
For Rosemary-Grapefruit Gin Fizz
- 4 oz grapefruit juice
- 1 ½ oz gin
- 1 oz rosemary syrup
- sparkling water to top up
- To make rosemary syrup, combine water, sugar and rosemary in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let rosemary infuse for 30 minutes, then strain into an airtight jar.
- For each serving, fill a glass with ice then add grapefruit juice, gin and rosemary syrup, stir, and then top off with sparkling water. Garnish with fresh rosemary and a small wedge of grapefruit. Cheers!
Last Updated on December 8, 2016 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD