This delicious, light and creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup recipe is loaded with green vegetables.
This Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup is richly flavourful, packed with late spring veggies and the broth is creamy but light. Perfect for sunny days when you still crave a hot meal, but also want the freshness of lots of greens. I love to make extras to have for lunches during the week.
I made this recipe in partnership with Crockpot™, and packed it up to go in a Lunch Crock™ Food Warmer. The Lunch Crock (available on Amazon) is great for carrying and warming up your leftovers, oatmeal, soup, and more on the go. The 20-oz container is the perfect size, it has a detachable power cord for easy storage, and the parts that touch the food are dishwasher-safe. It makes heating and eating yummy tortellini soup easy while you’re away from home.
Although we often think to pull out the slow cooker on cooler days for slow-simmered comfort food, I also love it as the weather warms up for two reasons: 1. It doesn’t heat up the whole kitchen and 2. you can start something and forget it for hours without staying close to the stove.
Tortellini Soup Ingredients:
- Leeks, asparagus, parsley and kale for lots of vibrant vegetables.
- Store-bought cheese tortellini: super quick-cooking and convenient.
- Unsalted broth AND bouillon concentrate: using both makes a total flavour-bomb soup, I love this hack. Do be sure to use unsalted broth and lower-sodium bouillon.
- Double parsley: I love the verdant flavour parsley adds to a slow-simmered broth, and it adds a lovely brightness at the end, too.
- Secret ingredient: a parmesan rind. If you buy parmesan, save the hard rind to toss into a soup. Not only does it contribute toasty, nutty flavour, it’s super rich in umami adding a beautiful savoury depth.
How to Make Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup:
- Start by sauteing the veggies. You don’t want to skip this step. Cooking the aromatics evaporates some of their water, concentrating flavours and allowing some caramelization.
- A first-step saute also creates a flavoured oil to carry all the fat-soluble flavour compounds through the whole soup. Super valuable especially in a meat-free dish.
- Simmer the soup in a slow cooker (I used my 3 QT Crockpot™ Manual Slow Cooker). Add the tortellini, cream and asparagus in the final 45 minutes so that they are perfectly cooked.
- Toss in the greens at the very last minute to give them time only to wilt, preserving their bright green colour.
Other Slow Cooker Favourites
Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 sliced leeks* (white and light green parts only)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup Better than Bouillon Chicken (the one with 50% less sodium — or else use half)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- ½ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 12 oz cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 cups torn kale or spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley (plus more to serve)
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet (or in your 6QT or larger Crockpot™ slow cooker if it has a saute setting). Add leek and salt and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Stir in bouillon to fully coat the vegetables and saute a minute more.
- Transfer this mixture to your Crockpot™ slow cooker if done separately. Add broth and pepper; cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4.
- Add tortellini, cream and asparagus. Cover and cook 45 minutes more on high setting. Stir in kale/spinach and cook until just wilted. Top with chili flakes and more parsley to serve.
Last Updated on May 26, 2022 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD