Chili Oil Ramen is a flavor-packed slurpfest. A far cry from your dorm-room Mr. Noodles, this is one of the best instant ramen recipes. Those wavy noodles absorb bold chili oil while garlic, ginger, and soy sauce amp up the flavor. Scallions and sesame seeds add freshness and crunch to this easy, 5-minute dinner.
Why You’re Going to Love This Chili Oil Ramen Recipe
This 5-minute Chili Oil Ramen is a game-changing instant noodle recipe for ramen lovers everywhere. It’s the perfect balance of spicy, savory, and aromatic, with each bite bursting with robust flavors. Plus, it’s incredibly easy and quick to make, yet tastes like something you’d get from your fav takeout restaurant.
The best part? You can customize it with your favorite garnishes and toppings.
Get ready to slurp, savor, and plan for the closest opportunity to repeat this recipe.
Gather Your Ingredients for Chili Ramen Noodles
Before we dive into making this lip-smacking bowl of chili ramen noodles, let’s first have a quick look at what you’ll need for the yummy homemade ramen seasoning recipe. Here’s your shopping list:
- Ramen noodles: The star of the show. They’ll soak up the flavors from our chili oil and provide that satisfying, hearty bite.
- Vegetable oil: This is going to be the base for our chili oil, providing a neutral medium for our spices.
- Crushed red chili flakes: Here comes the heat! These little guys will give our chili oil its kick.
- Garlic: Our aromatic superhero. Garlic lends a savory depth of flavor to the chili oil.
- Ginger: This will add a fresh, peppery zing to our chili oil.
- Soy sauce: This is our salty, umami-rich seasoning agent, which is going to bring balance and depth to our dish.
- Scallions or Green Onions: These not only bring a burst of fresh, oniony flavor, but their vibrant green color also makes our ramen look extra appetizing. They’re a garnish that pulls its weight!
- Toasted sesame seeds: For that finishing touch. They add a delicate crunch and a beautiful visual contrast.
With these ingredients, you’re well on your way to creating one of the most irresistibly easy recipes with ramen noodles. Stay with me, and we’ll turn these humble ingredients into a meal to remember.
How to Make Chili Oil Ramen: Step-by-Step Directions for Preparing the Dish
Alright, we’ve gathered our ingredients and we’re ready to roll up our sleeves. Here’s your roadmap to a mouthwatering bowl of garlic chili oil ramen:
- Prepare the Noodles: This step sets the stage for the dish. Cooking the ramen noodles until they’re just right is crucial – you want them to be perfectly tender and ready to soak up all the tasty flavors we’re about to add.
- Prepare the Chili Oil: This is where we build flavor. Heat up the oil and carefully pour it over red chili flakes, garlic, and ginger in a heatproof bowl. The aromatics sizzle and infuse the oil, giving our ramen its bold, distinctive taste. It’s the backbone of our dish, and it’s what will keep you coming back for more.
- Toss the Noodles: Now it’s time for the noodles to shine. Tossing them in our homemade chili oil ensures every bite is packed with flavor. Adding the soy sauce at this stage gives the dish a savory, umami punch that complements the heat of the chili oil.
- Serve: The finishing touches. Dividing the noodles between the bowls and garnishing with sesame seeds and extra scallions adds a visual and textural contrast that makes the dish look as good as it tastes.
Follow these steps, and you’ll be sitting down to a hearty, warming bowl of chili oil ramen before you know it. Ready to get cooking? Let’s do this!
Grab These Tools
A large pot or Dutch oven and a small saucepan: You’ll need these trusty tools to boil your noodles and heat up your oil.
Heat-proof Bowl: This is where you’ll mix your hot oil with chili, garlic, and ginger. It takes the heat so your taste buds can enjoy it later.
Tongs or Chopsticks: Essential for giving your noodles a good toss in that flavorful chili oil. They’re like an extra set of (very precise) hands.
Strainer: Perfect for draining your cooked noodles. It’s all about that splash-free life.
And that’s your kit, folks! With these tools at hand, you’re all set for your ramen-making adventure.
How to Serve These Slurpy Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
This ramen is best served hot, right after it’s made. Since this dish is quite flavorful and spicy, it’s best paired with mild, refreshing side dishes. Consider a cool cucumber salad or some bok choy, Chinese broccoli and/or carrots with an easy stir-fry sauce.
- Garnish with extra scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a delightful contrast in flavors and a visually pleasing presentation.
- Feel free to add other garnishes like a microwave-boiled egg, roasted seaweed, or fresh herbs for added texture and flavor.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
You can make the chili oil in advance and store it in an airtight container refrigerated for up to two weeks. This way, you can have a delicious bowl of ramen in mere minutes whenever the craving strikes.
If you have leftovers, store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Variations and Substitutions
You can customize this garlic chili oil noodles recipe to your liking. Substitute the ramen noodles with udon or rice noodles for a different texture. If you want more protein, add tofu, chicken, or shrimp. For the chili oil, feel free to adjust the heat level to your preference, or substitute the crushed red pepper flakes with your favorite chili paste. Here are some ideas:
- Sizzle with Seafood: Dive into the depths of deliciousness by adding succulent shrimp or delicate scallops to your ramen bowl. Seafood lovers, this one’s for you!
- Veggie Extravaganza: Create a vibrant explosion of colors and textures by loading up your ramen with an assortment of fresh vegetables. Think crisp sugar snap peas, crunchy bean sprouts, vibrant bell peppers, and earthy mushrooms.
- Egg-cellent Enhancements: Elevate your ramen experience by adding a perfect microwave- poached egg with its luscious yolk, a marinated soft-boiled egg for an umami burst, or even a crispy fried egg for an added layer of indulgence.
- Meat Masterpieces: Take your ramen to carnivorous heights by incorporating tender slices of grilled chicken, savory beef strips, or melt-in-your-mouth pork belly.
- Spice it Up: Ignite your taste buds with an extra kick of heat. Experiment with fiery chili oil variations, sprinkle in some hot pepper flakes or drizzle in your favorite hot sauce to add a fiery punch to each slurp.
- Try a Different Type of Noodle: Step outside the traditional realm of ramen and explore a world of noodles. Swap in udon for a chewier texture, try soba noodles for a nutty flavor or go carb-free with zucchini noodles for a lighter twist.
Let your culinary imagination run wild with these variations and substitutions. With Chili Oil Ramen as your canvas, the possibilities are endless. Get ready to create a bowl of pure deliciousness that reflects your unique tastes and preferences. It’s time to unleash your inner ramen artist and savor the culinary adventure!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Cook your noodles just until al dente. They will continue to cook when you toss them in the hot chili oil.
- Make sure to heat your oil until it’s hot but not smoking before pouring over the pepper flakes, garlic, and ginger. This helps to release their flavors without burning them.
- Toss the noodles well in the chili oil and soy sauce to ensure every bite is packed with flavor.
- Don’t skimp on the garnishes. They add a visual appeal and provide a lovely flavor and texture contrast.
- And most importantly, enjoy the process! The joy of cooking is all about experimenting and having fun in the kitchen.
With these tips and tricks, you’re well on your way to a lip-smacking bowl of homemade Chili Oil Ramen.
Consider this the TLDR section.
To make chili oil ramen, cook ramen noodles according to package instructions, toss them in a flavorful chili oil sauce infused with garlic and ginger, and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds for a spicy and satisfying bowl of noodles.
To make hot oil ramen, start by cooking ramen noodles according to the package instructions. In a separate pan, heat up a neutral oil (like vegetable or canola oil). Pour hot oil over chili flakes, minced garlic, and minced ginger. Pour the hot chili oil over the cooked noodles and toss well to coat.
Yes, chili oil is a fantastic addition to ramen. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor and a spicy kick to the broth, enhancing the overall taste of the dish. The rich and aromatic chili-infused oil blends beautifully with the savory broth and complements the other ingredients in the ramen, creating a delicious and satisfying bowl of noodles. Whether you prefer a milder or spicier version, chili oil can elevate the flavor profile of your ramen and take it to the next level.
Other Asian Takeout Favorites You’ll Love
If you love Asian takeout-style recipes you can make at home, don’t miss these other tasty Takeout Fakeout recipes:
- Chow Mein Noodles: takeaway-style chow mein is just the best.
- Thai Red Curry Chicken: the coconut sauce is delicious.
- Gochujang Chicken: chicken in sticky gochujang sauce.
- Garlic Ginger Chicken: tender chicken in scrumptious sauce.
- Chicken and Broccoli: easy dinner idea.
- Pad Woon Sen: Pad Thai’s favorite cousin.
- Hunan Shrimp: Spicy shrimp in yummy Chinese sauce.
- Thai Basil Pork: Thai takeout ground pork recipe.
- Honey Garlic Chicken: Savory, sticky, obsessively good.
5-Minute Chili Oil Ramen
- 2 servings of ramen noodles
- 4 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 scallions finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Prepare the Noodles: Cook the ramen noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the package instructions (about 3 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the Chili Oil: While the noodles are cooking, place the crushed red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and minced ginger in a large heat-proof bowl. Heat the oil in a small saucepan until it’s very hot but not smoking, then carefully pour the hot oil over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Toss the Noodles: Add the cooked and drained noodles to the chili oil in the bowl, and drizzle in the soy sauce. Add the chopped scallions and toss until everything is well combined.
- Serve: Divide the noodles between two bowls. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
Last Updated on November 9, 2023 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD