Why You’re Going to Love Curried Cauliflower and Quinoa Soup
- It’s super delicious, filled with buttery, golden, light curry flavour.
- It’s a vegetarian soup that satisfies.
- It’s loaded with filling, chunky veggies.
- It is on the table in 30 minutes with leftovers to last all week or to freeze for the future.
Quinoa is a filling protein-packed grain that bulks up this brothy soup with satisfying texture.
You know the slight bitterness that quinoa possesses? Some people don’t love quinoa for that reason. But it turns out that it pairs really perfectly with the similar astringent flavours of the turmeric and fenugreek found in curry powder.
I really love the flavour of chicken broth in this golden soup. You could swap in veggie broth, to make it fully vegetarian (which I am not!) or Better Than Bouillon offers a vegetarian no-chicken base that tastes like chicken broth that I’d like to try.
Throw in a can of chickpeas if you like or top with crispy chickpeas for a dinner party or a more special meal.
How to Make Curried Cauliflower and Quinoa Soup
- Start with a generous glug of olive oil. Fat carries flavour and is especially important in a vegetarian soup.
- Cook onion with salt until soft. We season from the start to build layers of flavour.
- Add ginger and spices, and saute until fragrant. This blooms the spices in the hot oil.
- Add the broth, cauliflower, carrots and quinoa, and cook everything until tender. You want to leave the cauliflower in quite large chunks so it doesn’t totally disintegrate in the soup.
- Finish with a pat of butter for a delicious flavour and texture. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, adding more salt until this soup tastes vibrant and savoury.
Other cozy and filling vegetarian soups you’ll love:
Curried Cauliflower and Quinoa Soup
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided use
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 ½ litres/quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large cauliflower chopped into large florets
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onion with 1 tsp of the salt until soft.
- Add the ginger and curry powder and cook a minute more before pouring in the broth.
- Add the carrots, cauliflower, quinoa and remaining 1 tsp of salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until cauliflower is soft and quinoa is cooked through.
- Stir in butter. Taste soup and add more salt as needed until the soup tastes vibrant and savoury.