Peach Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel
Peach muffins are such a treat this time of year. I’ve even got special “Peach Muffin” section of my freezer stocked so that I can bring the joy to cold November mornings.
This recipe makes for irresistibly soft sour cream muffins with buttery brown sugar streusel. Sweet peach chunks are studded throughout with bonus a juicy peach on top.
I like to make a double batch and either share or squirrel away the extras.
Our local peaches have been so sweet and flavourful this year, I’m going to fall to pieces when they disappear from the market.
I’ll be keeping this short and sweet today. We are in our last week of summer holidays before Theo (gulp) starts kindergarten (sob) and — speaking of falling to pieces — I’m having difficulty coping. I’ll be spending the next seven days smothering him in embarrassing kisses before he’s too cool for that.
Peach Muffins with Streusel Topping
Irresistibly soft peach-studded sour cream muffins with buttery brown sugar streusel and a juicy peach on top.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large peaches peeled and chopped + 1 large peach, sliced, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or grease with butter.
- Add all streusel ingredients to a small bowl and work them together with fingers until coarse crumbs form; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold together. When about 80% combined (there should still be floury patches), gently fold in the chopped peaches.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin pan and sprinkle streusel over tops. Add a peach slice to each. Bake 20-22 minutes, or until top feels springy when lightly pressed. Cool on wire rack.