Kimchi Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast tacos are a weekday staple for us. North American mornings of toast with peanut butter and jam, waffles with maple syrup, blueberry muffins, etc. are met with revolt by my Indian husband’s capsaicin-craving tastebuds. He has a sweet tooth, no question, but was raised on strictly savoury meals. (If it doesn’t have chillies, he’s like: did I even eat?)
This is a breakfast taco recipe I made for Grimm’s Fine Foods, and they gave me permission to share it with you here. Their fresh Italian sausage is perfect for them – it is flavourful and savoury, and a little bit spicy, but without any fennel or anything that would make it incompatible with an Mexic-Asian canvas.
Their Black Garlic Kimchi is the best store-bought kimchi I’ve had. The flavour is off the charts yummy, and it is super effervescent when I open the lid, meaning the healthy bacteria are plentiful and active.
To make the tacos, I toast some tortillas over my gas stove’s open flame to get the charring, then tuck in some softly scrambled eggs, crumbled sausage, and on-hand veggies (this time I used cucumber, avocado and cilantro).
A generous spoonful of kimchi finishes them off. Ready in just a few minutes for a protein-packed hot breakfast or lunch.
Do you find you get in breakfast ruts? As much as I grumble at Adarsh for dissing my raspberry rhubarb muffins, it does feel really good to start the day savoury and with veggies. You should totally give these a try. You can make a bunch (sans raw veg), wrap ’em up individually in parchment paper, zip into a freezer bag, and pop in the freezer. Microwave in the parchment for 1-2 minutes then add veggies and kimchi for an instant breakfast on the go.
I’m also making a big batch of juice this afternoon to add to the nutrient-load of our morning meals this week – I’m doing ABC juice, and a spinach, kiwi, apple, cucumber, and mint.
I’ve been enjoying breakfast every day on our new backyard patio. Jammies, bumblebees, hot coffee and a cool breeze. It’s heavenly.
- 1 tbsp peanut or canola oil
- 4 Grimm’s Spicy Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 4 Grimm’s Flour Tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado sliced or mashed
- 4 ” length of cucumber thinly sliced
- ½ cup Grimm’s Black Garlic Kimchi
- A few sprigs of cilantro stems discarded
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausages and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter to same skillet (no need to wipe it out). Whisk eggs with salt and add to pan when butter is melted. Cook eggs, stirring frequently, until just set.
- Divide the eggs and sausage among the four tortillas. Top with avocado, cucumber slices, kimchi, and cilantro. Wrap up and serve.