I went grocery shopping hungry and accidentally bought a Toblerone that weighs as much as my baby. I debated carrying it around in my baby carrier but instead, I made Toblerone cookies.
Take a perfectly golden, buttery chocolate chip cookies and swap in chopped Toblerone for the chocolate chips. Magic. The chopped candy chunks give way to insanely delicious puddles of melted nougat and milk chocolate. They are delicious.
How to Make Toblerone Cookies
- Beat butter with brown and granulates sugar until light and very creamy. This step beats air into the fat and gives the cookie lift. Egg and vanilla go in next.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Turn the mixer way down low and gradually beat it into the creamed butter mixture.
- Once the cookie dough comes together, add the chopped Toblerone and continue beating on low until it’s evenly distributed.
- Make 1″ dough balls. Nestle a chunk of the chocolate onto each cookie ball to ensure those chocolate-nougat pools.
- Bake in a fully preheated oven until golden at the edges and still underbaked in the middle. Cool on pan for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks.
- Lash them with a flaky sea salt like Maldon or a fleur de sel as soon as you transfer to cooling racks.
- REPEAT with remaining dough on completely cool pans. (Use a fresh one or run the old one under cold water if you aren’t fussed about it potentially warping.)
The Toblerone is sweeter of course than dark chocolate so the salt is really important to balance out the flavours.
To make them in advance, prepare the dough balls and freeze them in an individual layer on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Once frozen hard, pack them into containers to freeze up to 3 months.
Bake at 350ºF instead of 375ºF and add a few minutes to the baking time, watching carefully toward the end so you can pull them out without overbaking.
Some other favourite Christmas cookies:
These Mint Chocolate Cookies (which are a super oldie on the Foodess blog, I really have to reshoot them because they’re super good!)
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 8 oz softened salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 11 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (DIVIDED use)
- Combine butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, pausing a couple of times to scrape down sides of mixer bowl and beater. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually incorporate flour mixture to fully combine, scraping down mixer bowl again once or twice. Beat in 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough into two-tablespoon-sized balls. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Just before baking, preheat oven to 350ºF. Let cookie dough come to room temperature while oven preheats.
- Place dough balls on parchment-lined baking sheets 3" apart and bake about 10 minutes. Edges will be golden while centre still appears soft and slightly paler.
- Immediately after taking the cookies out of the oven, top with a few more chocolate chips, gently pressing them in. Let cool 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks.
- Use a fresh baking sheet or run the used one under cold water (if you don't mind that it may warp!) and dry before making another batch (a still-warm pan will make the cookies spread too much).