SunGold Kiwifruit Bourbon Sour
A delicious frothy cocktail with a perfect balance of boozy, sweet and sour.
I had so much fun with this cocktail – making it, taking pictures of it, and of course drinking it. Bourbon or Whiskey Sours are my favourite. They’re a frothy cocktail with a perfect balance of boozy, sweet and sour.
I discovered SunGold Kiwifruit in Australia this year and have been hoarding them ever since. Their flavour is like the sweetest kiwi married a passionfruit. So dreamy. I buy them in bulk at Costco and let them sit several days on the counter. They get softer (and sweeter) as they ripen. To pick the perfect SunGold Kiwifruit, squeeze it very gently. A ripe kiwifruit will give to slight pressure, like a ripe peach. I’ve been using them to sweeten my green smoothies, they’re perfect. If you haven’t tried them, you must.
I’m sure I’ll be eating tons as the days get shorter and drearier. They’re almost as good as real sunshine.
The fun thing with this cocktail is that it is really good when made as virgin, too. My kids had theirs sans bourbon and it was almost as tasty. I use pasteurized egg whites to be 100% safe. I love egg whites in cocktails. Shaken with ice, they whip up to a silky, foamy texture.
To garnish the glass, a slice of kiwifruit won’t do. You need a solid piece to hold its shape and stay on the rim. I used half kiwis. Bonus snack for drink recipients.
For more information on Zespri Kiwifruit and great recipes visit www.zesprikiwi.com (SunGold Kiwifruit Pavlova Parfait, anyone?). And check out the Frozen Yogurt I made with them this summer, if you missed it. So yummy.
- 4 peeled SunGold Kiwifruit
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice or more to taste
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar or more to taste
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 4 egg whites or 8 tbsp pasteurized egg whites from a carton
- Combine kiwifruit, lemon juice, and sugar in a small food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine about 1/3 cup of the kiwi puree with 1 oz bourbon and 1 egg white (or 2 tbsp pasteurized whites). Fill shaker with ice and shake, shake, shake until the outside is frosty, then shake a bit more. Taste, and add more lemon or sugar as desired. Pour into cocktail glasses of your choice and serve with an additional half kiwifruit pushed onto the rim.