Ham & Cheese Buttermilk Waffles
Happy Friday, once again! I have a Ham and Cheese Waffle recipe for your weekending escapades. They’re savoury and buttermilk-y and crispy, with melty cheese and cubes of ham. I made the recipe for Grimm’s Fine Foods, and they gave me permission to share the recipe. I’m so glad they did, because it’s DELICIOUS.
My babysitters had to cancel this week, which I accepted as a blessing in disguise, because I got to spend some unstructured, freestyle days at home with the little ones. I read some cookbooks. Squeezed in an impromptu photoshoot. Shared some thoughts on Instagram.
On Canada day, I was thinking about what it means to be Canadian, with all the greedy door-closing immigration talk that’s buzzing in North American news.
Then yesterday, the sun was streaming through my back door and it was so magical I had to grab my camera. I had no food prepared to photograph so I cut a pineapple and ran with it. It felt so good to be creatively spontaneous when my “creative time” is usually smooshed unceremoniously into two-hour blocks on specific days of the week. (I know any parent or creative-hustler-on-the-side can relate, right?)
I shared my thoughts on the benefits of spontaneity and just PLAYING in your art, whether it’s photography, cake-decorating, or making cat costumes.
Boy, the weekends roll around quickly these days don’t they? Let’s lie in bed for an extra hour and eat waffles tomorrow, ok?
If you’re wondering about my waffle maker, I just ditched my beloved Belgian stove-top iron because it takes too long and too many botched waffles to figure out the exact perfect temperature to ensure the batter doesn’t stick. I bought this cheap-o one from Cuisinart and it is really amazingly nonstick – the waffles are thin and crispy, not thick with deep pockets, but for $25 it’s a good buy.
One last thing – go check out this other delicious breakfast recipe I made with Grimm’s, in case you missed it. It’s spicy, savoury, veggie-packed, make-aheadable, and super tasty.
- 8 oz 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup unpacked grated Grimm’s Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup diced Grimm’s Old Fashioned Ham Half
- In a large bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs, then whisk in buttermilk and butter.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour bowl, and use a very light hand to gently mix.
- When the ingredients about 80% combined, fold in the cheese and ham, being careful not to over-mix as waffles can become tough.
- Scoop about ¾ cup of the batter into a waffle iron (or per your waffle iron’s instructions) and cook until golden and crisp for about 3 minutes.
- Cook to order, or keep them warm in a 200ºF oven until ready to serve.