Glowing Turmeric Chicken Soup
A vibrant but mild immune-bolstering turmeric soup with chicken and noodles and everything comforting. As perfect for chilly days as it is for cold season.
Things have been chaos over here, didn’t mean to abandon you after Valentine’s Day, but that’s why you shouldn’t fall in love with a baker – she’ll probably dessert you.
The flu I was griping about last time turned into a brutal sinus infection and I’ve had all the antibiotics, steroid sprays, x-rays, scopes, and I’m only finally now getting better, after three weeks. I’ve been pretty miserable. But no one wants to come to a food blog to hear complaining that is pretty much all I could talk about. Plus we’ve had some important family stuff happening, and a big move coming up next week. So many things.
I was initially trying to turmeric-soup myself healthy, and that’s why I made this delicious, immune-boosting Glowing Turmeric Chicken Noodle Soup recipe to share with you. (Two weeks in, I realized I was probably beyond home remedies. So I switched to Cadbury-Mini-Egging myself happy instead.)
Chicken soup is beloved by grandmas for its mysterious (and actually evidence-supported) benefits against cold symptoms, and turmeric is touted for its inflammation-suppressing properties. So this turmeric soup meets chicken noodle soup might just be as close as you’re going to get to a legit home cold remedy, but I’d chase it with this immunity smoothie for extra insurance.
Too much turmeric imparts an unpleasant bitter taste, so don’t be tempted to add a tablespoon for more benefits (unless your nose is blocked and you can’t taste anyway).
I’m excited to share more about our relocation as it unfolds next week in my Instagram stories – thank you all so much for your support and encouragement about the move and for your well wishes these past few weeks. You’re so great.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 litre/quart unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 oz spaghetti or egg noodles
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in turmeric and cook a minute, then add chicken, broth, water, parsley, and another 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the soup using a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board.
- Add the noodles to the soup (if using spaghetti, break it into thirds or quarters). When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it with two forks or chop coarsely with a knife. Return chicken to pot and continue cooking until noodles are tender. Taste and add another 1/2 tsp salt as needed.