This post may contain affiliate links.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats. Are you looking for the perfect treat recipe that’s soft, chewy, and totally delicious? Well, lucky for you, there are a few secrets that will help you make the best ooey-gooey homemade chocolate rice krispie treats ever.
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Making chocolate rice krispie treats is fun and so easy. Here are the ingredients you need for the best, gooey-delicious version one of the most nostalgic desserts:
- Butter: This will help bind the ingredients together and give the treats a delicious flavor.
- Mini marshmallows: The marshmallows will provide sweetness and texture to your treats. Freeze some briefly to stir in at the end for bits of marshmallow throughout.
- Chocolate: Melted dark chocolate chips will add a rich chocolate flavor and creamy texture to the treats. Freeze some to stir in at the end for tiny bites of cool chocolate. Use high-quality chocolate for a treat that’ll make adults swoon. A good quality chocolate will make all the difference in flavor.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This double dose of chocolate will give your treats a deep chocolate flavor.
- Rice krispie cereal: The rice krispies will give your treats their added crisp texture to break up the soft chewiness. You could triple down and use cocoa krispies if you like.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Here is your guide to making the most delectable chocolatey Rice Krispie treats:
- Before you start, grab ½ cup of marshmallows and ½ cup of chocolate chips and throw them in the freezer. Grease an 8” square baking pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper and get ready for some incredibly tasty fun.
- To make them the stove-top way, turn your stove on to low heat and get your large pot ready. Low heat is critical to ensuring your treats stay soft and chewy. Drop in a few cubes of butter and watch them melt – then add marshmallows, the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips, and cocoa powder – stirring constantly so that everything comes together nicely into one gooey mixture. (See below for instructions on how to make them in the microwave!)
- When this is good to go, add half the Rice Krispies cereal – mixing it around until everything gets that perfect chocolaty coating! Then slowly add the rest a handful at a time – make sure to mix it up so that every bite has the same amount of goodness! Finally sprinkle in the cold marshmallows and chocolate chips one last time.
- Pour your treat mixture into prepared baking pan and use damp hands (or a spatula!) to press it into each corner before leaving it to cool off for an hour or more. Getting impatient? You can also blast it in the fridge for 10 minutes instead!
- Cut into squares or bars when cooled down and revel in your creation that is 190% more delicious than you ever expected this childhood favorite would taste – now say hello to deliciousness as you enjoy your yummy Rice Krispie treats!
4 Secrets for Making Soft and Chewy Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
If you’re looking for the perfect classic chocolate Rice Krispie treat, chances are you want it to be soft, chewy, and totally delicious. Lucky for you, there are a few secrets that can help you achieve this chocolatey perfection.
- Firstly, make sure to use fresh marshmallows. Dry old marshmallows will make dry, hard treats.
- Secondly, be sure not to overcook the marshmallow mixture – this will result in hard treats! Cooking over low heat is critical to ensuring your treats stay soft and chewy. As moisture is evaporated from the butter and the marshmallows go from soft candy to hard candy state, moisture is forever lost from your treats. Cook too much and your treats will be a hard mass.
- Thirdly, be generous with your butter – its fat content will add extra moisture to your treats and make them even more chewy and delicious!
- And finally, be careful how you store them. Keep soft and chewy by storing in airtight container at room temp! The temperature of the fridge will stale the crispy rice cereal faster than room temperature. Did you know that?
Do I Need To Refrigerate My Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats?
You do not need to refrigerate Chocolate rice krispie treats, and in fact, you shouldn’t. Did you know that keeping them in the fridge will stale the cereal faster than storing at room temperature? That’s a tip you should definitely keep in mind!
Rice Krispie treats can be stored at room temperature for up to 3-4 days before they start to stale and lose their texture.
If you want them to last longer than that, then you should store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months – just make sure to bring them back up to room temperature before serving for best results!
How Do I Keep My Rice Krispie Treats Soft Overnight?
The key to keeping your rice krispies soft overnight is moisture – so first make sure you’ve read my above pro tips on how to make soft rice krispie treats. If you’ve done all that, then here’s how to keep them soft and perfect.
If you’re planning on storing them overnight (or longer), wrap them tightly in foil or plastic wrap so that no air can get in and dry them out. This will help keep your rice krispies soft for longer periods of time!
If you store them in an airtight container, your delicious treats should stay fresh on the counter for up to 4 days. See above on why you should not refrigerate them. But of course, that assumes you can actually manage to make them last for that long – good luck with that one!
How To Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats in the Microwave
Making chocolate rice krispie treats in the microwave is so simple and quick! Start by melting together butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power in 30-second intervals, pausing to stir, until 85% melted. Stir to finish melting to ensure you don’t overcook the mixture. Then add cocoa powder and chocolate and mix until everything is blended. Now, stir in your cereal and make sure everything is evenly coated. Press the mixture into a greased baking dish and let cool before cutting into squares.
You absolutely can make Rice Krispie treats the night before. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container at room temperature (read above on why you should never refrigerate them), and they’ll stay deliciously soft and chewy for 3-4 days until you’re ready to serve them.
If you store them in an airtight container, your rice krispie treats will remain soft and chewy for up to four days. Read above for why refrigerating them will only cause the cereal to stale faster.
Yes, you can freeze chocolate rice krispie treats for up to 3 months if well-wrapped in an airtight container. Bring back to room temperature before serving for them to be soft and chewy.
Common mistakes people make when making rice krispie treats are:
1. Using stale marshmallows. If the bag was left open, the marshmallows have almost certainly lost their soft chew and will make for hard treats.
2. Overcooking the mixture. Marshmallows are a form of candy, and will go from a soft candy state to a hard candy state if they continue to cook. Once they’re overcooked, it is impossible to make a soft rice krispie treat.
Rice Krispie treats are not usually gluten-free due to the malt syrup ingredient regular Rice Krispies. To ensure your snacks are gluten-free, be sure to read the labels carefully to find gluten-free rice cereal before indulging.
If you love this chocolate rice krispie treats recipe, you won’t want to miss out on these heavenly salted caramel rice krispie treats! These squares balance the classic marshmallow sweetness with a toasty caramel flavor, a hint of salt, and bittersweet chocolate.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup butter
- 5 ½ cups mini marshmallows divided use
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided use
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ½ cups rice krispie cereal
- Before you start, place ½ cup of the marshmallows and ½ cup of the chocolate chips in the freezer.
- Line an 8” square baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows, remaining ½ cup chocolate chips, and the cocoa powder. Cook, stirring constantly, until everything is melted and combined.
- Add ½ of the rice krispie cereal and stir to combine, then add the remaining cereal a handful at a time until it’s all incorporated. Stir in the cold marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the treat mixture to prepared baking pan and use dampened hands to press it evenly into the corners.
- Let the squares cool for an hour or more before slicing.
Last Updated on April 26, 2023 by Jennifer Pallian BSc, RD
These look like they’d be a hit for the Friday potluck lunch at work. Thanks so much!
I’m going to make these today for my daughter when she comes home from school. She will love them!
So easy and so delicious! The kids loved these (and so did I!)
This will be a perfect holiday treat for my little one. Looks yum!
This will be a perfect holiday treat for my little one. Looks yum!
These were so good I can’t even believe it. Only making this chocolate rice krispie treat recipe from now on.