I’m back! You know how in that Oeufs en Cocotte post I mentioned that I probably wouldn’t post for a couple of weeks? That was a month ago. Vacation laziness just kept gaining momentum and eventually got out of control.
I basked poolside/surf-side/barbeque-side in post-wedding bliss for the first couple of weeks, then spent a week in jammies, cuddling under blankets watching Jurassic Park and the likes. No laptops, no cell phones, no communication with the outside world. Just friends, family, food, comfy clothes, sunshine and patios.
Inevitably upon my return to Vancouver I was greeted by the consequence of not checking my email for 21 days and have been in a catch-up frenzy since.
And that, folks, is how 2 blog-free weeks turns into 4!
Back from la-la land, feeling completely refreshed and wonderfully calm and happy, I’m finally ready to hit the keyboard again. I was so caught up in work and wedding preparations this summer that I kind of missed the boat on my favourite cooking season – peaches, cherries, berries, fresh tomatoes – where did they go?
I’m not quite ready for the transition to fall foods, but I’ll happily exist in the “in between” for now with a cold wild rice salad. Hearty whole grains bejeweled with cranberries and pecans; an autumnal palette in a summer package. It’s one of my favourite grain salads – inspired by one at Capers in Vancouver.
Healthy and delicious. Salty soy sauce and sweet cranberries. Chewy rice and crunchy pecans. Fresh, bright parsley and green onions. Really, really addictive.
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine wild rice, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a fine meshed sieve, and run under cold water to cool completely. Let stand in sieve for 5 minutes to fully drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine wild rice, green onion, pecans and cranberries.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and parsley. Pour over salad and stir well to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- May be made up 24 hours in advance and refrigerated until serving.