When something has many components, and each contributes equally to making a recipe special, coming up with the name can be the hardest part.
For example, I’d like to call these “salted lemon pistachio white chocolate cookies” because I so badly want you to know all the things.
But that’s too many words.
And besides, you might be led to believe they’re made with salted lemons.
You see, these cookies are wonderfully lemony, studded with green pistachios, punctuated with creamy white chocolate, and sprinkled with pink salt to counterbalance the sweetness and make them pretty.
They’re soft, they’re chewy, they have crispy edges as all the best cookies do.
Don’t you want all of that information when you read the title?!
Whenever I bake with milk or white chocolate, I use a bit more salt as a counterpoint to the sweetness.
If you don’t have hibiscus salt, that’s OK. It’s only for looks, not for flavour. But it sure is pretty, don’t you think? If you want some, here’s where you can get it.
Lemon Pistachio White Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- Finely grated zest of one lemon about 1 packed tbsp
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5.6 oz 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white chocolate or chips
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- Pink salt I used hibiscus or flaky salt, like maldon
- Beat butter and sugars in standing mixer for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in zest and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. With mixer speed on low, gradually add to butter mixture and beat until well combined. Stir in all but 3 tbsp of the pistachios, and the white chocolate. Cover mixer bowl and refrigerate dough 30 minutes (or up to 48 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough by tablespoonfuls and roll between palms to make perfect balls. Arrange 2" apart on prepared baking sheets, sprinkle with remaining pistachios and a pinch of sea salt, and bake 6-8 minutes, until golden at edges and slightly underdone. Cool a few minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.