Chewy Ginger Cookies
These ginger cookies are chewy and crackled and covered in sparkly sugar. Perfect for baking with your favourite little elf.
This weekend we said goodbye to Adarsh’s parents. Their six-week stay just flew by. Before they arrived, my mom was here for a few weeks, and Adarsh’s sister visited for a couple of weeks in there, too. We’ve had such a wonderfully full home. This morning when we woke to a frosty fog and silence, it was very strange. I miss the noise and confusion of six humans and a dog sharing a two-bedroom apartment.
And now (gulp) we are actually on our own with two kids. But I’m turning the page with a full heart. We have had so much family love warming our space, now I’m making it my job to keep the feeling of comfort and fullness alive.
It’s hard to be the best version of yourself when you are exhausted and have your attention pulled in many distractions. But I want a happy home filled with laughter, so I’m going to do my best to cultivate the warmth and lightheartedness that I want to feel in my life and in my family.
For me that means going with the flow and letting go of little things. Remembering that when I can’t change the circumstance, I can change my attitude instead.
(That, or make cookies.)
I’m kicking off the holiday season with gratitude and lots of reflection. When it was just one baby, I felt like I was just playing house. Now that I’m the mother of two little elves, I feel the weight of a new responsibility. Now I have a pack to lead, and I want to do it with mindfulness. Because it’s the small things that you do repeatedly that matter, and ultimately make up who you are as an individual, a mom, a wife, a friend. Amirite?
For these cookies, keep in mind that they do best with a one-hour chill before rolling. It’s a soft dough, so this helps you roll them into neat spheres, and also prevents them from spreading too quickly in the oven. Also, I usually roll the dough balls in coarse sugar for a super-sparkly effect and a bit of crunch, but I didn’t have any this time. Use either, but the coarser option is prettier for the holidays.
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups 9 ounces all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Coarse sugar for rolling (or more granulated sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. In standing mixer, beat butter, sugar and molasses until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. With mixer speed on low, add to butter mixture and beat to combine. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and then roll in sugar. Bake 2" apart on parchment-lined baking sheets for about 8 minutes, until golden and crinkled.