Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies
My sister is in town for the summer, which is so exciting because she is basically the best. She laughs loudly at all my jokes (even ones I didn’t mean to be funny!), speaks the same secret language as my toddler, and instead of thinking I’m a nutter for narrating my life in made-up songs, she just joins right in!
And she has a major sweet tooth. She’s an actual, real-life cookie monster. I think she’s 75% chocolate chips at this point. (She’s also got like a 20-inch waist but you can’t hold it against her because she’s too adorable.)
These cookies are crazy. The fudgiest chocolate cookies ever. I promise you, you will see them again in their own non-cheesecake blog post because they are just. so. good. With melted dark chocolate and cocoa an even deeper chocolate flavour, they will be my go-to chocolate cookie from now on.
In this version, they are crowned with a tiny cloud of soft vanilla cheesecake. Like a dream.
Being the excellent sister that I am, I try to keep something chocolatey on hand for Katie whenever she comes over. She was the cheesecake-topper and hand model in the (spontaneous, shaky) little video below.
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz dark chocolate about 70% cocoa, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract with a wooden spoon until well blended. Chill the filling while you make the cookies.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir, then return to microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals until chocolate is about 80% melted; remove and stir to finish melting it. Stir in sugar while the chocolate is still hot, and then the eggs, one at a time (stirring to fulling incorporate before adding the next). Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and stir well to fully incorporate.
- Roll cookie dough by tablespoonfuls into balls between your palms, then drop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet 2" apart. Make an indent in each cookie using your index finger, then drop cream cheese by about a teaspoonful onto each. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until edges are cracking but centres are still soft.