This exceptionally delicious recipe is a giant samosa to share, with a spiced potato-chicken filling under a crispy crust (with shortcut pastry option).
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 3 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tbsp garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 lbs potato about 2 medium russets, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup green peas frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 sheet of puff pastry thawed (1/2 a 17-oz package) OR homemade single pie crust recipe
Heat ghee or butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add jalapeno and garlic; cook 1 minute more.
Stir in ground chicken, garam masala, turmeric and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
Stir in diced potatoes and water; cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in peas and cilantro. Taste, and adjust seasoning - you'll probably need more salt.
Transfer mixture to a 2-quart (2 L) baking dish. Roll out pastry and place over top. Cut a few steam vents.
Bake at 400 degrees until crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes.