Authentic Homemade Indian Chai
An actually-authentic Indian Chai tea recipe, as made for me by my lovely Indian mother-in-law. Tea the Indian way is rich and milky, deeply coloured, steaming hot, flavourful and sweet.
Prep Time1 min
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time6 mins
- 8 oz water
- 4 oz whole milk
- granulated sugar to taste (about 2 heaped teaspoons per serving, traditionally)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of black tea empty out tea bags to make a tablespoon if you don't buy loose leaves
Add any (or all) of the following:
- 4 cardamom pods smashed with side of a knife
- small piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 " coin of fresh ginger
- pinch of fennel seeds about 10 seeds
Bring water and milk to a simmer with desired spices in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to lowest setting and add tea. Steep until tea takes on a deep, pinky-tan colour, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain into a cup and stir in sugar to taste.