Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
This delicious Chewy Oatmeal Cookie recipe makes cookies that are buttery with crispy edges, and packed with toasted coconut, pecans and dried fruit.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 7 1/2 oz 1 2/3 cups gently spooned and levelled all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups large-flake not quick or instant oats
- 1 cup dried fruit I used combination of cherries, cranberries and blueberries, plus extra for topping
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread the coconut and pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until coconut turns deep golden brown (watch closely as it burns fast). Spread on a plate and pop in the freezer to cool while you make the cookie dough.
Beat butter with sugars in standing mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes, pausing twice to scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk flour with baking soda and salt. Add to stand mixer and beat on low speed to combine. Beat in oats, dried fruit, and cooled coconut/pecan mixture.
Scoop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls and place 2" apart on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets. Top with a sprinkle of dried fruit, if desired.
Bake cookies for about 9-11 minutes, until edges are golden and centres appear just slightly underdone. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.