Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot Beef & Wheat Berry Soup
Hearty, homey, healthy and satisfying, this quick soup is delicious and perfect for lunch or dinner. Wheat berries are similar to barley in taste and texture, offering a pleasant chew alongside the falling-apart-tender beef.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 litre/quart no sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 lb stewing beef or leftover roast, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup wheat berries or barley/brown rice
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 cups finely chopped greens such a frozen chopped spinach, or fresh kale
Heat the oil in your pressure cooker or instant pot on the sear/brown/saute setting (depending on your model) or over medium-high heat if stovetop. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it it smells caramelized and looks a shade or two darker, about 3 minutes. Add broth, beef, wheat berries and salt. Bring pressure cooker to high pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Quick release the pressure, then stir in the chopped greens.