Hearty Lentil & Kale Soup
A healthy lentil soup recipe with lots of veggies and greens. It's vegetarian, but very hearty and satisfying. You could puree it for a creamy version.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils
- kosher salt
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp harissa paste optional
- 2 litres unsalted broth chicken or vegetable
- 2 cups chopped kale (or other greens)
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
Bring a pot of salted water (at least 5 cups water) to a boil and add lentils. Simmer until lentils are very tender, 30-40 minutes (depending on how old they are).
While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat and add the onion, celery, carrots, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook vegetables until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and harissa (if using) and cook a minute more, then add the chicken broth and 1 tbsp salt. Bring to a boil. When lentils are tender, add them to the soup and simmer 10 minutes. Add kale and cook until tender, about 3 minutes, then add parsley and more salt as needed.