Spiced Parsnip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Light, tender, cardamom-scented cupcakes. Parsnip turns out to be delicious in dessert!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup safflower oil *I used grapeseed, any neutral vegetable oil will work
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely grated parsnip
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cardamom, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and the grated parsnip. Stir in flour mixture until combined.
Divide mixture evenly among lined cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached (*I always press gently on the center of the top - it should spring back), 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Make frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream chesse, butter, confectioner's sugar and vanilla until combined. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes. (Frosted cupcakes can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.)