Cherry Cheese Turnovers with Almond Icing
Flaky puff pastry turnovers filled with cream cheese and cherry pie filling, topped with almond drizzle. Easy and delicious - as dessert OR breakfast!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry one 400-500 g box, thawed overnight in refrigerator, then brought to room temperature
- 1 cup Canadian Mascarpone or Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought cherry pie filling
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
For Almond Icing
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
Preheat oven to 400º.
Flour a clean work surface and roll first sheet of puff pastry into a 12-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares. Spread 2 tbsp Mascarpone or Cream Cheese onto one half of each square, then top with a heaping 2 tbsp cherry pie filling. Fold pastry over the filling to make triangles. Press the edges together firmly to seal, then crimp between fingers or press with a fork as desired.
Using a sharp knife, make two small slits in tops of turnovers (these steam vents will prevent the seal from breaking during baking). Brush tops with the egg wash and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.