Greens, Mexican Rice + Refried Bean Burritos
These hearty vegetarian bean burritos are filled with refried beans, vibrant Mexican rice, and a quick sauté of greens. Flavourful and healthy!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 large burritos
For Mexican Rice:
- 1 28- oz/796 mL can no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt *start with half if your canned tomatoes have salt added
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch swiss chard stems and leaves separated and coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 bunch baby spinach coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 28- oz/796 mL can refried beans gently warmed
- 2 ripe avocados mashed with salt and juice of 1 lime
- pickled jalapenos
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- jarred salsa and/or hot sauce
- chopped green onion and/or cilantro
Puree tomatoes, water, shallot and garlic in blender and until smooth. Stir into rice in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté chard stems and red pepper until mostly softened, about 4 minutes, then add chopped chard and spinach leaves (in batches, if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble burritos, arrange tortillas on a workspace and divide refried beans, rice, and vegetables evenly among them. Top with avocado, pickled jalapenos, cheese, sour cream, salsa and green onion/cilantro. Fold in sides, then roll up tightly.