Thai Noodle Salad with Sweet Chili Dressing
A veggie-packed salad with salty peanuts, lots of herbs, and a delicious honey-lime-chili dressing. Include whatever is at the farmer's market: blanched broccoli, zucchini or green beans, ribboned raw kale or other greens, shredded carrot, cucumber, brussels sprouts, cabbage or kohlrabi, thinly sliced radishes - basically anything.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 lb snap peas trimmed (or 1/2 to 1 lb of any market veggies, like blanched broccoli, zucchini or green beans, ribboned raw kale or other greens, shredded carrot, cucumber, brussels sprouts, cabbage or kohlrabi, thinly sliced radishes - basically anything).
- 1 250- gram package rice stick noodles
- 1 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mint coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
Whisk together all ingredients for dressing.
Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it well. Blanch the snap peas (and/or any other tougher veggies you're not shredding) for a few minutes until crisp-tender then use a small colander, slotted spoon or tongs to remove them (keeping the boiling water) and plunge the veggies into an ice bath to cool quickly.
Add the rice noodles to the boiling water and cook according to package directions, or until just tender (about 5 minutes for the brand I use). Plunge them in the ice bath, too.
Drain noodles and vegetables by dumping them into a big colander and picking out and discarding any remaining ice cubes. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with herbs, shallot and dressing to coat. Top with peanuts. Serve chilled or room temperature.