Poriyal: South Indian Coconut Stir Fry
Poriyal (or Thoran) is a South Indian coconut stir fry with green beans or other veggies (very versatile!). It's a fresh, DELICIOUS Indian side dish.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 4 tbsp peanut or coconut oil
- 2 tsp husked split urad dal (aka husked, split mungo beans/black lentils/black gram), OR substitute finely chopped peanuts
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 dried red chili pepper or 1/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper
- 1 lb green beans trimmed and chopped crosswise into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When shimmering hot, add urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and chile pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and dal turns a shade darker, about a minute.
Add green beans and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in coconut.