Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
These chocolate cupcakes feature an Oreo frosting recipe with bits of crumbled cookie and a bit of tangy cream cheese to offset the sweetness.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time37 mins
For Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or substitute by putting 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup then filling the rest up with milk; let stand 5 minutes until thickened
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee or 2 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water
For Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz/250 g cream cheese one block, at room temperature
- 4 tbsp/2 oz butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup/4 oz confectioners' sugar
- 30 oreo cookies thoroughly crushed
- 6 oreo cookies lightly crushed, for decorating
To make cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes). Remove bowl from mixer and stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. Batter will be very runny.
Remove bowl from mixer, and pour batter into a large liquid measuring cup with a spout. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each no more than two-thirds full (or else batter will rise over and make a big mess - not bigger cupcakes). Bake 20-24 minutes, or until cupcakes feel slightly springy when you gently press their centres. Transfer cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely (at least two hours) before frosting.
To make frosting:
Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in the bowl of a standing mixer and beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined. With mixer speed on low, gradually add confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated, then increase speed back to medium and beat until very light and fluffy - about two minutes. With mixer speed on low, incorporate the 30 finely crushed Oreos. OR, for a more distinct "Cookies & Cream" effect, just gently fold them in using a rubber spatula.
When cupcakes have cooled completely (and by that I mean not a trace of warmth whatsoever or frosting will melt), frost cupcakes by spooning a big dollop onto the centre and patting it down until it spreads nicely to the edges, or transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large circle tip and pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle frosted cupcakes with the 6 lightly crushed oreo cookies.