The 7 Reasons Why I Love Blogging
I feel so lucky. So fortunate to have tumbled into a strange career that I didn’t plan, at a time when I could make a million mistakes and it didn’t matter.
BC Dairy Association invited me to share why I love what I do, as part of their #DoWhatYouLoveBC campaign and it filled me up with reflective gratitude. The reasons I love blogging are so plentiful and so personal.
1. Firstly, I love that my blog is the story of my life. I’ve been at it for almost 10 years. This space has followed my university education, my many moves, my marriage, my family and friendships across the globe, my world travels, the birth of my children, my fumbling through motherhood.
2. I love that people carry my recipes into their kitchens and use them to feed the hungers of their families and friends. I love that people email and message me pictures of my chocolate cake that they made their son’s birthday. I know the expense of buying quality food. I know the effort in planning, preparing, and cleaning up after a recipe. I know the anxiety of serving it to guests. It’s the greatest honour to be trusted with your time, money and effort, and to be virtually part of your tables. I’m humbled by the simple hugeness of this.
3. I love the connections and working relationships and actual real-life friendships that have materialized out of collaborations and social media connections. I love the constant evolution of creativity and skills that goes with creating content hand-in-hand with agencies, brands, and other creatives, and how I am continually motivated to do better and be better and try new things outside of my comfort zone (like setting up a tripod in my kitchen, applying a swipe of lip gloss and taking pictures of my own face).
4. I love how your presence here helps me to rise up, and when I come to this space to emotion-purge about how confusing and hard it is to raise a family, I am drawn to find the positivity in the experience so that I can inspire rather than bring down.
5. I love working at home and being able to see and hear my kids, even though I’m behind a closed office door. So grateful for that.
6. I love that there is such a huge circle of other food creatives at various stages of their journeys right at my fingertips every time I pick up my Instagram. I love that I can share my (modest) photography and business knowledge with those at an earlier stage, and that I am constantly learning from the generous sharing of others more experienced than me. Community over competition is the spirit of my tribe. I always feel connected to others, even when I’m working in a silence and solitude. There’s never a day that I don’t pick up my Instagram and learn something new from someone. How cool is that?
7. I love that there’s pie. Lots and lots of pie.