I have a very exciting collaboration happening right now that I am practically beside myself about – and that I’m thrilled to finally share with you.
Bon Appétit magazine has partnered up with Vitamix for several issues, and asked me to collaborate (squeal!) in creating some fabulous recipes to showcase the Vitamix Professional Series 750 blender.
I’ve gotta say, it’s pretty surreal to see my face in my favourite magazine.
And it gets way more exciting, because with each issue of our partnership, they’re giving away a Vitamix to YOU!
For the August draw, all you have to do to enter is snap a pic of a summer treat you make that was inspired by this recipe (as seen in the issue of Bon Appétit that is currently on the stands), and share it on Instagram with the hastag #VitamixSweepstakes. UPDATE: Winner selection will be conducted by random drawing from all eligible entries on 8/31/14.
The winner of the month (one for each of the August, September, November and December issues) takes home a highly coveted, supremely powerful, dazzlingly beautiful Vitamix Pro 750 (value $749).
If you’re not familiar with it, this beauty is a beast: pulverizing popping corn to fine cornmeal in a heartbeat; whipping hard almonds into buttery submission in seconds; making flour from grains without batting a (mechanical) eyelash; and berries – they just quiver in its presence (why hello there, silky smooth coulis). Not to mention it makes hot soup from cold ingredients.
And everyone else who enters still gets to enjoy some version of these Peach-Bourbon Snow Cones, so really, everybody wins…
I don’t think you could go wrong serving snow cones at a dinner party – either as a conversation-starting cocktail (in which case, dial up the bourbon in the recipe), or as a fun, refreshing dessert to end the meal – akin to granita, but with way more personality.
A few notes:
– To chill syrup quickly, pour into a zip-top freezer bag, seal tightly, then submerge in an ice bath for about 15 minutes, adding more ice as it melts.
– Feel free to substitute an equal quantity of frozen peaches for fresh – just thaw them first.
– In this snow cone, bourbon adds a subtle boozy kick. Feel free to adjust the quantity upward (or omit it, for kiddies) as desired.
UPDATE: FULL CONTEST RULES & DETAILS HERE.
- FOR PEACH SYRUP
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups sliced ripe peaches (1 lb)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 oz. bourbon
- FOR CRUSHED ICE
- 6 cups ice cubes
- 4 cups cold water
- Place all syrup ingredients except for bourbon into the Vitamix container in the order listed; secure lid. Select Hot Soup program, switch machine to start and allow machine to complete programmed cycle. Add bourbon, select Variable 1, switch machine to start, and process 2 seconds more. Transfer syrup to a pitcher and refrigerate until cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, place ice cubes and water into the Vitamix container. The ice cubes should naturally float up and off of the blades; if they don’t, use the tamper to dislodge them. Select machine Variable 1, switch machine to Start and slowly increase to Variable 10. Blend for 2 seconds, or until ice is finely crushed. Pour into a sieve and allow excess water to drain.
- Scoop 1 cup loosely packed crushed ice into each of 6 serving dishes. Pour ¼ cup of syrup over each snow cone; serve immediately. Store remaining syrup in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days.