Happy 4th of July, American friends!
After a gruelling 16 hours of delayed flights, mechanical errors, deplaning, re-boarding, missed connections and flying eight hours with a squirmy one-year-old climbing all over me like a spider monkey, I’m back from my last vacation traveling alone with a baby.
Maybe once I emerge from baby jet lag fog (he went to bed at 1 am when we got in and was up for the day at 4 – a very reasonable 8 o’clock in his brain) I will reconsider. But for now, the only thing I want in my lap on future flights is a mind-numbing, laugh-out-loud Sophie Kinsella paperback and an ice-cold gin and tonic, mmkay?
I bring you pizza! I am obsessed with grilled pizza, and grilled breads of all kinds. (Lately, I’ve been tossing this naan on the grates to accompany kebabs.)
The only minor downside of pizza-making is that it requires some forethought, which isn’t always likely in the summer when you’d rather be frolicking on the beach than kneading and waiting for dough to rise.
Fortunately, my sister introduced me to this super-speedy alternative – a no-knead pizza dough that can be made in five minutes with no more effort than a few quick stirs. It’s a game-changer! Granted, it’s not as chewy as regular pizza dough – but it’s flavourful (especially on the grill – but it works perfectly in the oven, too) and has a nice texture.
Keep in mind that the water temperature is important here – use a thermometer if you have one. Too cool and the yeast won’t activate, too hot and you’ll kill it. If you’re estimating, 120º – 130º F is quite hot tap water but it shouldn’t scald you.
I also bring you GOODIES! Telus shared with me the new Samsung Galaxy s5 plus the accompanying Gear Fit wristband to try out, and another to share with you. My iPhone bit the dust a few weeks ago so I’ve been using the Samsung exclusively – I’ve grown to really like the android OS, and the camera is great. I love the waterproof-ness – I’ve had a lot of fun taking underwater photos and videos, and reading on it in the bathtub.
Wait, let me clarify: the underwater photos and videos aren’t happening in the bathtub. Maybe those should have been separate sentences, hmm…
The Gear Fit is a wristband that tracks your workout – for me, that’s running. It measures distance, calories, heart rate, speed etc. and lets you control your music, as well as read and respond to text messages with a tap of the finger, without picking up your phone. Really cool fitness gadget.
Telus offers very friendly one-on-one Learning Centre sessions to help you set up and master your phone, so you can make use of all that it offers.
Giveaway details and entry form below recipe!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pizza toppings (I used ricotta with lemon zest, bocconcini, grilled prosciutto and fresh rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or preheat gas grill over medium-high heat.
- Whisk 1 cup of flour, yeast, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir warm water and olive oil together in a measuring cup and heat to 120º -130ºF in the microwave or on the stove. Stir into flour mixture until smooth, then stir in remaining 2 cups of flour. Use your hands to press the shaggy dough together into a ball.
- Transfer dough to a generously floured rimless baking sheet. With floured hands, press dough out to desired shape and thinness.
- If baking: Top with sauce, mozzarella and/or other toppings as desired, then bake on the bottom oven rack for about 15 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. If grilling: Set toppings within reach of grill. Clean grates with oil well. Place pizza crust on the grill and close. Cook about 5 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside has a few grill marks. Flip, using tongs and with the assistance of your cookie sheet/cutting board if needed.
- Top the grill-marked side (now face up) with sauce, mozzarella and/or other toppings as desired. Close the lid and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes, until cheese is nicely melted (it won't get golden like in an oven). Use your tongs to slide it back onto the cookie sheet/cutting board.
Contest Rules & Details:
Giveaway ends at 11:59pm (PST) Wednesday, July 9th, 2014.
One winner will be drawn randomly by rafflecopter.
Winner will receive one Samsung Galaxy s5 + Gear Fit. (Retail value of each prize = $950.)
Winner must respond within 24 hours or prize will be forfeited and another winner will be drawn.
Telus is able to offer this giveaway to residents of CANADA only – I’m sorry, readers in the US overseas, I really love you! I always make it known that it is my very strong preference to include everyone, however sometimes it isn’t possible. :(