There’s a circular October cold epidemic happening in my home.
Daddy, mommy, peanut, daddy, peanut, mommy.
I chalk it up to lack of sleep diminishing our immune systems. Unfortunately, baby getting sick exasperates the lack of sleep situation. It’s a chicken-and-egg deal, you know?
And speaking of chicken… this chicken noodle riff on Thai Tom Yum soup is a major virus-buster. Your nose will run. Your eyes will water. Your temporarily ineffective tastebuds will actually taste it. It’s really, really good.
When I’m under the weather, I always crave Tom Yum soup from a particular Thai restaurant in Vancouver. I was so happy that my homemade version is just as good.
The hot and sour broth is infused with flavourful lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and ginger, then spiked with lots of lime juice, sriracha and a splash of salty fish sauce.
Plump whole mushrooms, juicy tomatoes and several handfuls of spinach bulk it up and contribute immune-boosting nutrients. I fortified mine with shredded rotisserie chicken, but it is equally delicious with a few shrimp, or cubes of firm tofu.
It’s super easy to make – a toss-in-the-pot deal, that happily requires no sautéing.
Serve it absolutely piping hot. (Tom) yum yum yum.
- 2 litres/quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 ” piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender inner part only, cut in 2″ lengths
- Handful of kaffir lime leaves (about 8-10)
- 2 cups whole button mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or 3 roma tomatoes, quartered)
- 2 oz any noodles (I used spaghetti! You can use rice noodles, or any asian noodle.)
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4-6 tbsp sriracha (start with less, if less heat is preferred)
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1 bunch baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (save some to top bowls for serving, if desired)
- In a large stock pot over high heat, bring broth and water to a boil with ginger slices, lemongrass and lime leaves. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves; discard.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes and noodles to the broth, bring back up to a boil and cook until noodles are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in shredded chicken, sriracha, lime juice and fish sauce. Taste and add salt by pinches until well seasoned.
- Stir in spinach and cilantro; cook until bright green. Serve topped with additional cilantro, if desired. .