Summer is such a precious and fleeting moment in the temperate rainforest that I, for the time being, call home. The winter switch was only flipped off two weeks ago. I feel like I need to pen some goals so that the sunny days aren’t whisked out from under my feet in a blur of work and deadlines and… gulp… wedding planning.
So this is my plan:
1. Extract every ounce of pleasure from the local, seasonal fruit as it arrives. This means sour cherry tummy aches. Totally worth it.
2. Re-read the entire series Anne of Green Gables. This may or may not have something to do with the destination of our wedding…
3. Go camping, hiking, and swimming in both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
4. Get fresh air all days, even the rainy ones.
5. Paint. Do pottery. Be artsy.
6. Spend quality time with friends & entertain often.
7. Lie in the grass with bare feet for a few minutes any day that the sun is out.
8. Make the trip to the farmers market most weeks.
9. Try a new summer activity with my significant other! Rollerblading? Golf?
10. Relax. Really. Work that kink out of my neck. I think this means regular massage appointments… ahh it’s tough, but it’s got to be done…
Today, I am doing numbers 1, 4, 6, 7 and 10. I’ve got my best friend visiting with her hubby and their beautiful baby Mason.
Isn’t he the sweetest? He turns me into a squealing puddle of raspberry kisses and baby babble.
How do you plan to make the most of the remaining sunshine and long nights? How about with some ripe, juicy local strawberries baked into something delicious?
Here are some of my favourite summer strawberry recipes:
strawberry chocolate rolls with sour cream glaze
strawberry mascarpone stuffed french toast
buttermilk scones with strawberries & milk chocolate chunks
stawberry hand pies with cream cheese pastry
strawberry rhubarb pudding cake